Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #11

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: Sportsmobile Lean

Mine doesn't lean but I have an overload on the driver side. Me, fuel, AGM battery, propane, freshwater, refrige, black water tank, spare, inverter. I have not weighed it but just common sense tells me I am not balanced.

My next build will be more balanced for sure. In the interim, I am doing away with my propane tank. I already witched to an Epar D2. My galley and sink is on the right side. I am pulling the under floor g/w tank and putting that inside under the sink. Now in that space we have an electric hot water heater that is never used. I am building a box to hold a propane cannister in that space also which will supply the stove top. With the grey water gone, I will add underneath an additional AGM battery. I think that I will be as balanced as I can be by then plus I will be more freeze protected.

Regards,

Keith

Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #12

On the GoWesty site they describe a similar problem on certain VW conversions. They sell a kit to fix it by just spacing the coils on the low side. I think this could be fixed by any competent spring shop.

Your Anti Roll mechanism is probably a pendulum switch that is attached to the body. If it starts off leaning, it won't work right but once the body sits level it should work.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #13

The lean was noted and discussed with Sportsmobile. I asked and was told where I might get the vehicle weighed. I would think Sportsmobile is responsible for the technical aspects of design, but it was a joint design.

Looks like there might be room for a larger fresh water tank and gray water tank on the left underside of the vehicle. That would be nice - would have more interior space, but would have to use lots of antifreeze in the fresh water tank during the winter...

On the spring adjusting stuff, I downloaded the Mercedes Upfitter documents and they are specific about weight limits and have lots of requirements for location of center of gravity. However, I am relying on Sportsmobile to get the tech answers from Mercedes.

Wonder how much weight I would save if I had the big combo shower removed?

Will keep y'all posted.

Attached Thumbnails
InteriorPicWebVersion.jpg  
SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyRV
I would think Sportsmobile is responsible for the technical aspects of design, but it was a joint design.
I would agree that this issue rests with the SMB even if it was a custom design. The uplifter needs to advise the client based on their expertise and take into consideration weight balance and overall weight.

nice pic. thanks for sharing.
very clean looking. big galley, large fridge, lots of lighting, I like that
man, I'd hate to see you rip out your bath setup. explore your other options.
do you have a link to where you downloaded the MBenz Upfitter docs? I'd like to check that out.
best of luck.
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #15

This is the link to the starting spot for downloads for Sprinter body builder information. Follow the link toward the bottom of the page. I had to register on the site that showed up.

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/about/prog ... ilders.php
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyRV
This is the link to the starting spot for downloads for Sprinter body builder information. Follow the link toward the bottom of the page. I had to register on the site that showed up.

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/about/prog ... ilders.php
thanks for sharing. I've been on that page before and checked out the link above it but missed the other one.

BTW - that pic of the Sprinter without the box on the back is pretty cool seeing the framing setup. It's a nice cut-away view.
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #17

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Body builder information for 08, 09, 10 also available on my site, http://www.ourexcellentadventures.co...ter-resources/

Regards,

Keith
Old 11-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #18

Bigger tires on the passenger side?

If your larger fresh water is your ballast, won't you lose it as you consume water? Also when you empty the gray water tank? If you have to keep it topped off to be level, you don't gain any advantage from a larger tank except the weight.

Also 600 lbs is the difference, how much do you need to "level" the Sprinter? You might add ballast (gym weights? 50lb sand bags?) to see what is required to bring you to an acceptable level. You should also do this with your standard gear loaded.

If you have to add, say, 500lbs permanently and your empty weight total is 8400... what's that do to your ability to load gear?

Otherwise I feel for you.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #19

Another idea: replace whatever you can with lighter weight material on the pass. side. Drawer faces, cabinet fronts, shelves- maybe put speed holes* in non-visible supports.

*meaning take a 4" hole saw to them and remove as much material as possible.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 AM   #20

Just got a no problem making changes email from Paul at Sportsmobile. I am heading for Egypt Monday and should have the Sportsmobile back in time for a ski trip at the end of the month.

BTW, something that contributes to the weight on the right is the 2010 addition of the Blue Tech (or something like that) emission tank. It adds 140 pounds to the right side of the vehicle.