Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
KSB

Sprinter 4x4 Propane capacity

Just took the new rig (2018 low roof 4x4 MB Sprinter) out on a few test camps and had a question I was hoping to get a answer for. Everything is awesome except the weak propane capacity on the new van. My old Syncron I installed myself a 7 gallon Eurovan propane tank. This one to my surprise is a paltry 4.5 gallons and after only two night of camping it’s only got 1/4 tank left?!. This is going to be a problem for me. I did not catch if there was a larger option or not? I think Brian never gave me a option and I think this was the only size for this van? Not sure... I hope there is a way to add another tank or a larger one. I’m pretty sure it’s the heater all night that is eating up all the LP.

I sent Brian a email also saying that my High beams and one of the usb 5v chargers they installed does not work. Sadly no email back from Sportsmobile west, I guess they are too busy? Verdict is still out on customer service of SMB west, they prob need a few more folks working there.?

Thanks

Kb

KSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
KSB

On second observation, I think the LP gauge is not all that accurate. So I think my estimate on how efficient the propane heater is better that I though. I will clearly need more trips to assess the gear ;-)

Kb
Old 11-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

Yeah, unless you've got the windows open and/or terrible insulation and/or a fondness for sauna-like conditions, I wouldn't expect to go through a 20# tank that quickly. There's not a lot of cubic feet in a van to warm up, but of course, it'll depend on the outside temperature delta.

Lot of good intel on this old thread:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...racy-6831.html
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #4

KSB, I think your high beams at least will be a Mercedes Benz warranty issue. FYI, I took our May 2018 delivered from SMB West 2017 Sprinter in to our local MB dealer for a dash light issue and what (I thought) was an underperforming vehicle AC and they replaced it and ran a check on the AC no problem, no charge.

Most dealerships I think will be the same, and without even a discourse will understand your vehicle warranty starts from the time you take delivery of your van from Sportsmobile. At least mine did, which is my only experience.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
KSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
KSB, I think your high beams at least will be a Mercedes Benz warranty issue. FYI, I took our May 2018 delivered from SMB West 2017 Sprinter in to our local MB dealer for a dash light issue and what (I thought) was an underperforming vehicle AC and they replaced it and ran a check on the AC no problem, no charge.

Most dealerships I think will be the same, and without even a discourse will understand your vehicle warranty starts from the time you take delivery of your van from Sportsmobile. At least mine did, which is my only experience.
Thanks BackCountry,

I got really got lucky and found my cargo van via cars.com but had to have it shipped from New Jersey to Fresno. So I would have it serviced here in Oregon where I live and find a MB dealer for service. Ill give it a shot but I would be surprised if I did not get any grief from the dealership.

kb
Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #6

According to Sportsmobile's web site and my calculations, a 4.5 gal LP tank would run their typical LP furnace about 32 hours. Obviously, this will go pretty fast in a cold weather trip. They probably should have made this clear to you. This is why I didn't want a propane furnace. It is a hassle filling the tank frequently.

The better solution is to eventually add a diesel Espar furnace (like an Espar D2) that can run for ling period of time efficiently off your diesel tank. This is what the truckers use in cold climates for heat. They aren't cheap but our local truck dealer installs these in virtually all the semi trucks that they sell and install them much cheaper than Sportsmobile. Mine is installed under the passenger seat and is pretty easy to add. Long term, this would be your best solution.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
KSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
According to Sportsmobile's web site and my calculations, a 4.5 gal LP tank would run their typical LP furnace about 32 hours. Obviously, this will go pretty fast in a cold weather trip. They probably should have made this clear to you. This is why I didn't want a propane furnace. It is a hassle filling the tank frequently.

The better solution is to eventually add a diesel Espar furnace (like an Espar D2) that can run for ling period of time efficiently off your diesel tank. This is what the truckers use in cold climates for heat. They aren't cheap but our local truck dealer installs these in virtually all the semi trucks that they sell and install them much cheaper than Sportsmobile. Mine is installed under the passenger seat and is pretty easy to add. Long term, this would be your best solution.
Yeah, sadly it was not made clear to me. My fault as ultimately I should have been more diligent. However they were like "if you have a propane stove we recommend staying with propane for the heater" Had I known the LP tank was only 4.5 gal I would have picked the Espar. Dangit..

kb
Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSB View Post
Thanks BackCountry,

I got really got lucky and found my cargo van via cars.com but had to have it shipped from New Jersey to Fresno. So I would have it serviced here in Oregon where I live and find a MB dealer for service. Ill give it a shot but I would be surprised if I did not get any grief from the dealership.

kb
KSB,

You might be pleasantly surprised, as I was. I came loaded for bear but all the service manager wanted to see was the final closing sales page from SMB West. He added all into the computer at the dealership and going forward it shows in the dealerships computer what the start date is for the warranty period. It was very painless, and the service manager clearly knew what to ask for and what to expect. Maybe that's just a factor of living in Bellingham, where there are at least three other SMB Sprinters driving around town along with a bunch of Outside Van Sprinters and other assorted outfitters as well.

Anyway, it was a nice surprise for me as I expected this long protracted battle/discussion on the warranty period and it didn't happen.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #9

Ditto Backcountryguy’s comments above. I bought the van in Texas and had it first serviced in CA, it was simply a matter of providing the sales paperwork to the dealer so they could “set the clock” on the warranty start period. They originally thought SMB was the original owner and that I was the second owner, all was good after we straightened that out.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

For the USB charger, instead of emailing Brian, try calling SMB West customer service. The guy there has always returned my calls same day.
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote