Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Sprinter at Fresno Mercedes with cracked block

Get it out of there!

Take a deep breath.

What is the van worth?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #12

I'm confused... you stated that it is a 2004 Sprinter (T1N) but the pictures in your Gallery are of a NCV3.

What year is it and what engine does it have?

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #13

Sorry, but the more I think about your problem, the more I am concerned you are getting the run around.

Make this call...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefin
See if you can contact linden engineering in Denver to get a second opinion over the phone, he is very active on the sprinter-source forum and seems more than willing to help people, regardless of him doing the work (distance)
...he can tell you how common or even likely this problem is.

You have provided us very little information and perhaps it is because you have received very little from the dealer.

I can understand a cracked or burned piston, or a cracked cylinder, but both... without earlier symptoms. These things don't just happen without a reason - extremely lean condition (CE Light would have come on), low oil pressure, overheating... something.

Is there coolant in the engine oil or oil in the coolant? Was there smoke (white - coolant, blue - oil) coming out of the exhaust as would be expected if there was a cracked cylinder wall or piston.

When there is a crack in either - the compression in that cylinder, while running, is going to escape somewhere. It generally makes a mess as either the oil system is pressurized and oil is forced out the seals, dipstick tube... and makes a mess. Or, if the coolant system is pressurized by the escaping compression gasses, it is contaminated, and it will leak out the cap or overflow reservoir...

Something is not adding up!

P.s. There are several other options to a $16,000.00 bill from MB Dealers.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #14

Wow...yes correction on the year. It is a 2007.
Not being a mechanic it was hard to follow everything the dealer was explaining. However I did drop in unannounced several times and bypassed the "service advisor" and went directly to the mechanic who was working on it. That is when he showed me the pictures of the piston. He did mention there were other options to a new engine. That would cost 10-11 grand and would not come with the 4 yr 100,000 warranty. So I decided that the extra 5 grand was worth buying the new warranty. No easy way out especially since the van is 350 miles from home.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #15

OK, since it's a 2007 the engine is the OM-642 V6 diesel. And $16k - $17k is about right for replacement. Very sorry to hear this has happened to you but since you have a full SMB buildout on the Sprinter it seems worth replacing the engine.

Our mechanic (Dennis Williams at LinDen Engineering) has all sorts of horror stories about the OM-642. He loves the old OM-647 inline 5 found on the T1N Sprinters, as also mentioned by 86Scotty. And he's hoping the newer OM-651 proves more trouble free than the 642 under extended use. (Most of his customers are commercial fleet owners and expediters).
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #16

If you're down in Orange County - a recommendation before you lay down that kind of dosh. Call Rincon Truck Center in San Clemente - Kevin Thompson specifically. http://www.rincontrucks.com
They've been doing work on J Buffett's Sportsmobile (Ford) for me for the last year, and they are top notch. Not the cheapest, but they stand behind everything - and they've done bangup work on JB's van - including one job that required a full pull out of the engine. If you told him specifically what it needs, he could at least give you a quote, then maybe you put the van on a dolly and get it to your home county. For such a major job, I'd want the work to be done closer to home so that you can have some easier recourse if the repair goes to hell.
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #17

I agree. I would have it towed close to home and hopefully find something there. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote