Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreese View Post
Echoing what @llamadave said. I ordered my 2018 Transit from a Ford dealer so that I could get the exact options I wanted. I did work with SMB on what these options should be, took their input and made adjustments based on their expertise, but ordered the van from a Ford dealer myself and had it delivered to SMB. Remember that the whole point of an SMB conversion is to customize it exactly the way you want it.

For me I wanted a Ford Transit HR EL with an EcoBoost gas engine and a QuadVan 4x4 conversion with the Eaton Detroit Truetrac Front Locker, Bilstein front and rear struts, an air lift, shortened rear shock mounts and wheel well cutbacks for the exact tires I wanted. Totally custom. I could have chosen any van and manufacturer that I wanted - and I did.
Holy cow Kreese your Transit sounds awesome.

we'll hopefully be getting a Transit sometime.... need the wife's approval.

Any chance you could start a new thread that shows pics, and has info about your build?

thanks

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #12

Rothskeller - what he meant is shop the MB dealerships on AutoTrader.com or other services and you just might find a van in stock that fits your needs or comes very close. I know some that have done that and been OK. IF you find one that meets your needs you could contact SMB and they might just have a spot open soon as they aren't getting anything in from MB. That is all.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #13

Seems like all the MB dealers are posting late this year to sometime in spring 2019 for the new Sprinters. Makes me suspect MB still doesn't have an EPA-compliant motor.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

V6 cleared with least issues.

Here’s a link w conversation/s around some of the points made here... there are others as well...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ica-20806.html
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #15

I ordered a Sprinter 2500 RB high-top 4x4 back in July 2017 and my van just arrived at Sportsmobile near the end of last month. It was actually built in Germany at the beginning of June 2018. So the lead time for me between ordering and the actual build was about 11 months. Then it took about 2 months for it to be shipped and arrive at Sportsmobile. Now Sportsmobile will have it for a few months to do their thing; I likely won't take possession until November. Not a quick process by any means.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Holy cow Kreese your Transit sounds awesome.

we'll hopefully be getting a Transit sometime.... need the wife's approval.

Any chance you could start a new thread that shows pics, and has info about your build?
Yes I'll put up some pics when I have some.
kreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #17

I think the suggestion about sourcing your own Sprinter would be to find a 2018 and bring it to Sportsmobile. If you are only open to a 2019 then that wouldn't be an option.

For what it's worth, we sourced our own van and was able to slip into the production line since SMB West was still waiting for their 2018 vans to arrive. Finding a 4X4 144 wasn't the easiest, but we finally did find one that would work at MB of San Jose. Not our preferred color, and had some options that we ended up just ripping out (Becker Map Pilot), but it got us in the queue and we picked up our completed build last Friday. When we placed an order, we were told if we didn't get in front of the 80+ vans SMB was waiting for, we were looking at September 2019 at the earliest. This was several months ago so it's probably longer now.

When we picked up our van, SMB West's 2018 still hadn't arrived, so bringing your own 2018 and slipping into the production line might still be an option. Won't be there much longer. Plus, didn't Jeff Bezos just order like 20,000 Sprinters?....
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #18

I know we were lucky but ... when we discovered a need for a 4x4 sprinter to convert we started searching for one on a lot. And found one fairly quickly. So it is possible.

(In our case we missed a couple of options we might otherwise have bought. On the other hand we've been out camping in it rather than dreaming about it).
Old 09-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #19

Build Underway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post
I ordered a Sprinter 2500 RB high-top 4x4 back in July 2017 and my van just arrived at Sportsmobile near the end of last month. It was actually built in Germany at the beginning of June 2018. So the lead time for me between ordering and the actual build was about 11 months. Then it took about 2 months for it to be shipped and arrive at Sportsmobile. Now Sportsmobile will have it for a few months to do their thing; I likely won't take possession until November. Not a quick process by any means.
Is your build officially underway? I ordered mine in early September 2017, and my sense is that my build won't start until Q119. It was supposed to start earlier this month. Thanks
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel47 View Post
Is your build officially underway? I ordered mine in early September 2017, and my sense is that my build won't start until Q119. It was supposed to start earlier this month. Thanks
I was told that they already had the delivery service performed on van itself and that the actual interior work would start very soon. They said it should be ready for me to take delivery by mid Nov.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote