Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #21

When you order a Sprinter, you don't have an assigned place in the queue that remains constant. Mercedes builds the vans in batches that have mostly common features. They wait until they have enough vans of similar permutations (option choice possibilities), and then they build that batch because most of the options are the same and they don't have to alter the sequence of construction. Some orders may come in within a few months. It has been 21 months since I ordered mine (with almost every option available) and it still hasn't arrived in South Carolina yet.

Comparing when you and someone else placed their order, when the other person received their order, etc., is not going to help you estimate when your own van is coming in.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #22

Ordered 2/17 arrived 6/18 picked up 9/18.
Done.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #23

It would be nice if there was a "fly and drive" purchase option from MBZ with the Sprinters. Years ago they handled the logistics for getting the vehicle to the US but I don't know if they even offer that on the regular car line any more.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #24

We ordered a Sprinter 4X4 back last December 2017. We told Brian at SMB West that the Sprinter cut off to be made in Germany was coming to an end soon (based on what we heard from the Mercedes Dealership. We were told the van would go into production and Brian would get back to us. When I called back they told us we missed the cut off for the made in Germany which is just what we were trying to avoid. SMB is saying they will start production of the 4X4s in early 2019 but the word from the Mercedes dealership is that it will be in the fall making delivery of the Mercedes built by SMB into 2020.

Would appreciate any information on this anyone has and recommendations going forward.
Mike in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #25

Sprinter builduots

I gave my deposit to get in line June 2018 before I had a van. I was quoted 18 months for the build because of all the sprinters ahead of me. But it sounds like that's not an issue for me now.
I purchased Ford E350 EB 4x4 diesel 7.3.
It will be on the line next week. Going to be a complete build out.
I went with a high top since I wanted a indoor shower, it's a different look but much more practical.
Any suggestions?
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #26

Get your money back, and buy a Roadtrek.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #27

2019 Sprinter

I didn't read everything in the posting but in a nutshell, the first big batch of 2019 Sprinters were made in Germany this past July and will be arriving shortly. We ordered our Sprinter fall of 2017 and its one of the batch of 96 coming to SMB West. We didn't want to wait so we bought the ONLY 4x4 Sprinter in the U.S. with SWIVEL FRONT SEATS. We bought it thru a dealer in Maine and the van happened to be in Charleston being put together. It was courtesy delivered to a MB dealership in Colorado (our home state) and we delivered it to SMB West. Its a long story but ours will be done next month. Our 144" - high roof - Pebble Grey - original van is back into SMB West inventory and it may be available. Our delivery date for that Sprinter was to be in the April, May 2019 time frame.

We were told there are only 10,000 4x4 Sprinters for world-wide sales and they all were to be built in Germany. The delay is because the supplier can only delivery that many 4wd assemblies. There are lots of alternatives to a 4wd Sprinter but I always look at the back end of everything. You buy gold, you sell gold. A 2wd anything may serve your needs but its just another me too on the back end and you'll get killed on resale.
boat guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #28

A dealer told me the other day that passenger sprinter 4x4's are built in Germany and shipped over and sold directly without the whole disassemble and reassemble in s.c. process like the cargo vans undergo.? Anybody know if that's correct?
yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondermountain View Post
A dealer told me the other day that passenger sprinter 4x4's are built in Germany and shipped over and sold directly without the whole disassemble and reassemble in s.c. process like the cargo vans undergo.? Anybody know if that's correct?
That is correct. The passenger Sprinters and cutaway chassis units (used for small class C RVs) are not subject to the 25% 'Chicken Tax' on light trucks and cargo vans. So they can be imported directly into the US.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote