Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Sprinter Check Engine Light

Just an FYI for Sprinter owners. After my last fill up, the check engine light came on and remained on until the next fill up. I called the Sprinter mechanic and he said that sometimes the the tank cap can be put on upside down which will effect the emission sensor. Next time, I'll pull over and reinstall the cap rather than wondering what the heck was going on for several hundred miles. IMO the cap was tight the first time. I hope this helps other owners. docd

docd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #2

Re: Sprinter Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by docd
Just an FYI for Sprinter owners. After my last fill up, the check engine light came on and remained on until the next fill up. I called the Sprinter mechanic and he said that sometimes the the tank cap can be put on upside down which will effect the emission sensor. Next time, I'll pull over and reinstall the cap rather than wondering what the heck was going on for several hundred miles. IMO the cap was tight the first time. I hope this helps other owners. docd
Similar thing happened to my other vehicle (not a Sprinter). I didn't close the cap enough "clicks" so it wasn't tight enough. Felt tight to me but apparently that wasn't sufficient.

When you say "upside down" do you mean the part that should be in the fill tube was facing out (difficult to picture that) or that the cap has a "north" and "south" and you put it in 180 degrees out of alignment? Can't understand why that would make a difference.
bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

I had a check engine light on in my GMC Envoy. My mechanic told me to go out and buy a new OEM gas cap. He said you run a risk of getting check engine lights with aftermarket gas caps that don't seal properly. In todays world of car computers looking at every spec of data it only makes sense to buy the right part.

The new OEM gas cap fixed the problem.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #4

It's not the gas cap necessarily. I forgot to put the gas cap on entirely after getting gas in El Centro and drove many miles until a rolling border patrol stop. There also was a drug dog whose handler had it go behind each vehicle. After answering the usual questions, we pulled away just as the dog started barking. The officer then started running after us, saying "Sir, Sir..." not exactly an order to stop. He ran up and told us that our gas cap was off and he put it on. "Have a nice day. " No check engine light came on.
On our current, continuing trip to Canada, Alaska and Canada, the "multifunction indicator light," aka engine light, came on twice, the first after slush froze to the underside of NV, the second after driving many miles on dusty gravel roads with heavy rain on a paved section followed by more gravel. The manual said it was ok to continue driving, so we drove on to Fairbanks in the first instance and later to Whitehorse. The dealer in Fairbanks checked the code (vent control valve), reset the light and said to drive on. He gave me the code if it reappeared. It did along with a message, "loose fuel cap;" it wasn't. The dealer in Whitehorse told me to "come back tomorrow" or drive on the Prince George. We had better things to do than sit in Whitehorse, so we drove on. Today the check engine light was gone. Then, I remembered the manual said it may turn off after several starts/trips, as in work. I guess the gist is that the light is annoying but can wait until your next service if it doesn't fix itself or maybe the light will burn out.
radin2son is offline   Reply With Quote