Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - DINETTE

Anybody have a dinette setup in their vans like the pictures below?

Wanted to get input from the group on doing a design like this.
Rather than doing a gaucho with a removable table we're considering doing a dinette that converts to a bed by dropping the table and sliding the cushions over with perhaps a mattress topper for added comfort. Area below bench seats can be used for storage or van system use. Considering making the overall length 80" so we have a full length bed.

Also considering a way to make the bed wider. I saw on this Lazy Daze conversion that the bench seat slides out into the aisle to widen the bed. Very slick. Some type of extension that folds out would work too. The Lazy Daze also pads the wall with the same upholstery as the seat cushions and has a nice wide window above for viewing and light. Looks very nice.

We'd like to have a nice size table for eating & working if needed and could also be used as extra counter space for food prep. Putting a table in an aisle seems to make it very difficult to move around in my opinion. This way we would have ample leg room so sitting facing each other we won't be banging knees. No seatbelts or official sitting for when the van is moving.

Any thoughts on doing this?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
design 02 with shower area.jpg   dinette winnebago 01.jpg   dinette lazy daze 03(1).jpg  

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #2

Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - DINETTE

Whats your sleeping preferance

appears to be set up like two twin beds

your illlustration shows a dinette with a slide out to make it wider
sounds good, you gonna fabricate??

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson

bw
thanks for the reply BW

yes, we want to do two separate beds. I'm too tall to sleep sideways so I need the length and figured this is the easiest way to handle that. Plus I'm like a rotisserie chicken when I sleep

Ideally I'd like the platform bed to be around 24" wide so there's plenty of aisle space and somehow have an extension for the bed part that moves into the aisle for sleeping. Haven't worked that part out yet. Open to ideas. Wanted to do the platform bed so there is ample storage space below for gear. The bed would be 80" in length. I might also store my windsurfing boards and surfboards on top of the bed when traveling in some cases. They will be strapped down for security. Might also do some type of trailer hitch rack as well. not sure on that part.

For the dinette, I'd like to keep the bench seat width small enough (24-28") so there is enough aisle space and room to work at the galley. This is where the mock-up will help me work out those kinks in the design. I'd like the bed though to be wider, perhaps 32" wide. I just need to work out the details on how to do that. The bed would be 80" in length too.

re the fabrication - I'm pretty sure I'll have SMB do it. I'll just work with them on the design and they can even take the mock-up and fabricate from that. I'm pretty handy with wood working and cabinetry but I don't want to piece meal out the conversion plus SMB does a pretty nice job and I'm sure it will look better than whatever I could do. The current plan is the buy the van from a local dealer, do the mock up, take it on a trip as you had suggested on the other thread, and work out the design kinks before going in for the conversion.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #4

Separate beds are all the rage among the bourgeois set these days, or so I hear! (Actually separate bedrooms are growing popular as well...)

Dinette part of some of the Ford chassis builds, and if SMB is going to build it, it will be the same. Might look at the designs and look for someone with the rear dinette to ask.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Separate beds are all the rage among the bourgeois set these days, or so I hear! (Actually separate bedrooms are growing popular as well...)
I'm way ahead of my time or perhaps a step back in time. Lucy and Ricky were my heroes. Separate beds, separate baths
You're right. I did hear on the news or on the internet that new home builders are making separate bedrooms for couples.
If my wife had her way I'd be in a separate house
Maybe getting an SMB isn't such a good idea. That may become my permanent outpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Dinette part of some of the Ford chassis builds, and if SMB is going to build it, it will be the same. Might look at the designs and look for someone with the rear dinette to ask.
thanks for the lead. will check those out.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson

bw
thanks for the reply BW

yes, we want to do two separate beds. I'm too tall to sleep sideways so I need the length and figured this is the easiest way to handle that. Plus I'm like a rotisserie chicken when I sleep

Ideally I'd like the platform bed to be around 24" wide so there's plenty of aisle space and somehow have an extension for the bed part that moves into the aisle for sleeping. Haven't worked that part out yet. Open to ideas. Wanted to do the platform bed so there is ample storage space below for gear. The bed would be 80" in length. I might also store my windsurfing boards and surfboards on top of the bed when traveling in some cases. They will be strapped down for security. Might also do some type of trailer hitch rack as well. not sure on that part.

For the dinette, I'd like to keep the bench seat width small enough (24-28") so there is enough aisle space and room to work at the galley. This is where the mock-up will help me work out those kinks in the design. I'd like the bed though to be wider, perhaps 32" wide. I just need to work out the details on how to do that. The bed would be 80" in length too.

re the fabrication - I'm pretty sure I'll have SMB do it. I'll just work with them on the design and they can even take the mock-up and fabricate from that. I'm pretty handy with wood working and cabinetry but I don't want to piece meal out the conversion plus SMB does a pretty nice job and I'm sure it will look better than whatever I could do. The current plan is the buy the van from a local dealer, do the mock up, take it on a trip as you had suggested on the other thread, and work out the design kinks before going in for the conversion.
I see some problems,(same problems w my layout before the mockup)With your dinette(my dog crates) extending so far into the isle behind drivers seat, front overhead storage will make it a PIA to get out from the cockpit, even with the pass swivel,(Im only 5'2)... In the galley,you might have problems opening the cabinets, and I feel the isle is too small, awning window(by galley) will get smashed,1st time you forget its open and you open your slider. why arent you getting the sprinter awning windows ? I think they look better that the generic awning windows
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

thanks for the reply K9.
perhaps my drawing isn't very accurate or to scale.
if the bench seats for the dinette are 24" wide, that shouldn't stick out into the aisle too bad, right?
I checked out an SMB that had a gaucho bed and the depth of that couch didn't seem restrictive in getting into the cab area, even with the overhead storage. Of course the mock up will have to work.
I really like that overhead storage since it makes great use of unused space and still plenty of head clearance when driving but your point is well taken on hitting your head. When I was checking out the van at an RV show I tried to get out of the way of someone else getting in the van and I nailed my head on that bulkhead. Bonkie on the konkie.

What depth are the dog crates that you have in yours?

Re the awning windows, the person at SMBW told me the awning window has to be limited in how much it can open or it will get in the way of the slider. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess the other option is to put in a slider but I was told the window size is smaller. Also that sliders let more rain in if this window is open.

What are the Sprinter awning windows? not familiar with those.

Appreciate the design help. I need as much as I can get
Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #8

crates are 40 ...Sprinter has aftermarket windows that look factory, but are awning style... they are on the sportsmobile site, but bad pics. http://www.sportsmobile.com/2_sr_windows.html
Attached Thumbnails
bvan1.jpg  
Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #9

heres one of mine opened
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4790.JPG  
Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #10

I can see how 40" would stick out a ways and require extra thought in your design.
hopefully a bench seat depth of up 28" would be okay and still provide enough room for the galley area and getting through to the driver's seat.

thanks for the link on the windows.
appreciate the help.