Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Sprinter (Westfalia) needs service in San Francisco/EastBay

Hi,

I have a 2004 Sprinter Westfalia that is now due for a service/oil change according to the odometer (33K).

Any recommendations in the Bay Area would be great. Unfortunately my car mechanic cannot handle such a heavy vehicle.

Thanks!

PorcupineRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #2

Re: Sprinter (Westfalia) needs service in San Francisco/East

Have you thought about completing the service yourself? There are many how-to's over on Sprinter Source. www.sprinter-source.com Your van is a T1N, so I'd start in that forum...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #3

Thanks!

I have gotten some good information in responses so I may do the future filter changes etc myself. My car mechanic is taking a look at the van this morning. They are a good shop experienced with Mercedes and don't tend to do any unnecessary work.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

Collie Autoworks in San Rafael comes very highly recommended:

http://www.collieautoworks.com/
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses!

Update............I got the oil and filter (mann) changed by my (good) car mechanic. They replaced with 10w40 but when I explained that the original specs required Mobil 1 0w 40 or similar they agreed and did the oil change again but they paid a lot for the oil so my bill went from less than $100 to $233 but they also fixed a mud flap and they are very reliable but what I really like is they wont do unnecessary services. The oil specs for the same engine released in 2006 had allowed for the 10w40 but I wanted the the other oil after reading a number of postings on different forums. The next thing they recommend is to do a transmission flush at about 40K. In their experience this is one of the most important services for the continued good performance of this engine.

I brought in my car last week because it indicated the need for a service and i expected that it would include an oil change but no, only the transmission needed to be flushed. This is the second time over the last few years that they have done this.

Maybe they are not the cheapest but their reliability and honest approach is cheapest in the long run.

Regards!
Tom
Old 11-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

In the long run, honest and reliable is cheaper!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #7

Mercedes doesn't recommend doing a transmission flush on the Sprinter as it can cause damage:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15591

IMHO, flushes of any sort on a modern vehicle are a waste of money and a potential for damage unless recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Doing an engine flush on my Honda will void the warranty. Flushes seem to be a holdover from the days when engines had looser tolerances and fluids/filters weren't as good as they are now.

RL
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #8

Thanks Rick!

The opinions seem to vary quite a bit and it can become quite confusing. I don't have to do anything for the present but the feedback is very valuable. I did look at the link you provided and there wasn't a lot of agreement but it does stand to reason that with the modern era of engines and transmissions (and fluids) that the amount of maintenance should be reduced. It's a bit like changing your oil every 3.5k which is totally nuts unless your a weekend racer or something. As you pointed out some of this may be a throw back to a different era.

Best Regards,

Tom