Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #11

Anybody know if the Agile mount ties into the body or frame beyond the crush zones? This has been troubling me about the Aluminess & potentiall the Agile schemes...

VC has a very solid mounting scheme for their front hitch...that I'd love to see adapted into a winch mount & bumper. They don't seem interested in doing bumpers, however.

VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
Anybody know if the Agile mount ties into the body or frame beyond the crush zones? This has been troubling me about the Aluminess & potentiall the Agile schemes...

VC has a very solid mounting scheme for their front hitch...that I'd love to see adapted into a winch mount & bumper. They don't seem interested in doing bumpers, however.
I can't remember what they said re. that. I do remember they showed me where they had to trim part of the OEM front bumper to fit the 315 tires (lift was required also). They said no trimming would need to be done if an Aluminess bumper instead.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #13

I saw that too when I was at the shop...there is some trimming involved.

What tires/wheels are you going with on the lift? (I think I recall seeing that in another thread).
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
I saw that too when I was at the shop...there is some trimming involved.

What tires/wheels are you going with on the lift? (I think I recall seeing that in another thread).
Due to length of my new house's driveway and HOA restrictions, I have decided no aftermarket bumpers and attachments. Thus tires limited to size that can fit in regular spare tire location. I will get highest lift they offer.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #15

If you go back into Snowy's build thread you will find good info on his installation of 285's. As I recall, he was not able to keep the spare in the original position, but rather had to move it to the back, first to a rear receiver carrier and then to an Aluminess swing arm. Then there's the guy on the Sprinter forum (link sent previously) who lowered the carrier to allow the larger tire to fit, but I believe that was tire specific as he said it required getting a bar on the carrier to fit into the groove of the tire. Suggest you get Snowy involved in the discussion, he is very knowagable and has been down this path.

The Van Compass lift allows you to install larger (up to 315's) tires, but doesn't require that you do so. Have you shelved the idea of the VC lift, or are you thinking of the combination of the VC lift with the largest tire you can fit in the OEM spare location?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #16

Fitz,

How much lift does the full VC suspension upgrade give? I thought it wasn't as much as the Agile Offroad lift?
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
....or are you thinking of the combination of the VC lift with the largest tire you can fit in the OEM spare location?
Most lift they can give me plus largest tire that fits in original spare location.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
Fitz,

How much lift does the full VC suspension upgrade give? I thought it wasn't as much as the Agile Offroad lift?
See post #329 in my build thread for measurements, pictures and details. What I have is what can be gained from the suspension upgrades only, another 2" can be gained by adding the VC full lift kit. Note that the full 2" lift kit incorporates all of the suspension upgrades I have plus other components, including a couple of additional leafs in the rear spring pack.

Regarding the Agile modifications, I believe the lift gained is very similar to the VC suspension upgrades. Van Compass adds leafs to the existing rear spring pack, Agile replaces the rear spring pack. I have only seen the Agile mods once and I didn't measure it, but the overall height gain looks very similar to me.