Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Sprinters in the mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by RlnStn949
And does anyone know if one can get the penthouse with the high roof Sprinter?
Per SMB West, they can not install a PH top on a high roof Sprinter.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #22

Well to come back to the 2wD in the snow idea, with my Toyo Open Country A/T tires I was absolutely fine in my mountain trek with my 2WD Chevy... good steep grades where I was...
Google Map

+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #23

Send a message via MSN to herby
Re: Sprinter handling in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb309
My experience with my 2WD Sprinter in snow and other loose conditions has not been nearly as positive. (Understand, however, that I am a flatlander at heart, and less experienced than others).

I find that in icy conditions, or even wet grass and a cowpie, the Sprinter traction control will make me stuck in no time. The combination of engine dethrottling and whatever else prohibits me from getting going in slick stuff. YMMV.

Once I am going, it handles beautifully in icy conditions with the ASR and traction control. Additional weight in the back (kids & dogs) helps.

I urge you to take up one of these kind forum members offers for a test drive before you plonk down your cash.
if you switch your ASR off your traction control handles bad conditions better!
herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #24

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

I have used my Sprinter on many forest service roads with no problems as long as they are not wet. The rating system used by Back County Adventures for roads and trials rates them 1-4 with 4 being high clearance 4wd. I haven't had any problem on selected 3's. My clearance is about 1" higher than stock and I don't have any running boards, etc. The only problem with the Sprinter is height and width on some trails.

I do have a lot of pin-stripping from to narrow trails. I keep hoping my DW won't someday ask me about the "scratches".
Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #25

Bumping an old thread to discuss Sprinter SHIFTING at altitude...

Above 6000' in my 06 140' low-roof, I often experienced really long transmission hesitations, typically in first and reverse. Almost seemed like the torque converter was malfunctioning. Problem cleared up back down in the lowlands, and I believe cleared up when the engine/trans was hot.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have since sold this van, and cannot test it for anomalies. The reason for the question is part of my research to buy a replacement)
Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #26

I just got back from the Sierras, Kaiser Wilderness,(8500 ft elevation) and experienced some slow engagement in first gear on steep slopes. I have a 2007 penthouse Sprinter and have been at high altitude many times with no tranny problems. This was the first time experiencing this "slow engagement" but it cleared up after a few miles and never came back for the rest of the trip. I am due for service and will ask about this when I take it in. Hopefully it was just an anomoly but it was a little scary when your tranny doesn't fully engage on a steep slope.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepar
I just got back from the Sierras, Kaiser Wilderness,(8500 ft elevation) and experienced some slow engagement in first gear on steep slopes. I have a 2007 penthouse Sprinter and have been at high altitude many times with no tranny problems. This was the first time experiencing this "slow engagement" but it cleared up after a few miles and never came back for the rest of the trip. I am due for service and will ask about this when I take it in. Hopefully it was just an anomoly but it was a little scary when your tranny doesn't fully engage on a steep slope.
This is exactly what I am talking about. Please do post the results of your inquiry!
Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #28

Definitely ASR OFF, at least uphill!! I ended up on some four wheel drive roads last weekend (trying to find the trailhead for Boundary Peak in Nevada) and had to climb a steep rutted hill. The Sprinter would just stall out halfway up and I thought a big rut was stopping it. I even chained up for more traction.

I then realized the engine was slowing, and the tires were not spinning. I remembered the ASR and turned it off. It spun and cranked up the hill the next try.
flybikeski is offline   Reply With Quote