Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Status of your MB 4x4 Sprinter order

There are quite a few of us now who have an MB factory 4x4 Sprinter on order. It will be very interesting and exciting to see this first wave of 4x4s arrive and get built out by SMB.

Apparently, some of these orders have been confirmed, some are being built by MB, and some are even on ships making their way ever closer. Ours has not been confirmed yet, but we are getting stoked.

If you have one on order, do you know the status of your van yet?

WestyToSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:18 AM   #2

Re: Status of your MB 4x4 Sprinter order

My 2500 144"WB 4x4 currently has a status of "In Production" and was previously scheduled to be produced from Feb 20 through Feb 28. My dealer in Miami checks the internal Mercedes production system when I ask, typically every week. I'm hopeful that on March 1 I will have confirmation that the vehicle has been produced and then shipped to SMB Texas.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter4WD
My 2500 144"WB 4x4 currently has a status of "In Production" and was previously scheduled to be produced from Feb 20 through Feb 28. My dealer in Miami checks the internal Mercedes production system when I ask, typically every week. I'm hopeful that on March 1 I will have confirmation that the vehicle has been produced and then shipped to SMB Texas.
Sprinter4WD, Does that mean it is already in the US, and that it will take about 8 days for the final assembly? Once shipped, it will be interesting to see how long it spends in transit. Sounds like great progress!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

My understanding is that the production is happening at the Düsseldorf plant in Germany. You can watch the YouTube video if you are obsessed like myself at:

According to my dealer (not verified independently) the 4x4 Sprinters won't be disassembled and sent to Ladson, SC like most Sprinters all. Instead it will be shipped complete from Germany.

I don't have a good estimate on the shipping time yet - it looks like it will be weeks though. My dealer has told me that once the van is "on the water" that delivery dates become quite reliable to predict.

My van will be delivered directly to Sportsmobile Texas - as you can expect I am really looking forward to it!

I see you have one coming too. Have you asked them to look into the system and get your scheduled production date yet? To be honest I'm not sure it helps knowing, but I'd be interested too.

FYI the reason I ordered from Miami even though I live in Idaho is because I figured they wouldn't have used up their "allocation" of 4WD units. I was right .
Old 02-27-2015, 02:49 AM   #5

Passenger Sprinters are not disassembled for shipment ,only cargo vans are disassembled , as they are considered commercial vehicles and they are disassembled to save the chicken tax
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

Sprinter4WD, I have watched all 3 segments of the Sprinter assembly line video you mentioned. Quite entertaining. With the long wait time on these 4x4s, we have to entertain ourselves somehow.

Our order has not even been confirmed by the factory yet, which is the very first milestone of course. You are way ahead of us!

Like k9sprinter, I also heard that passenger vans ship from Germany fully assembled, unlike some of the cargo vans. Is your order for a passenger van?

Some folks on the sprinter-source forum say their vans are "on the water" from Germany, and actually have the name of the ship so they can track it! Oh, the anticipation...
Old 02-28-2015, 11:52 PM   #7

Regarding shipping fully assembled (or not) - it's possible that my dealer was wrong about 4x4 models being shipped complete, and it's also possible that I interpreted what he told me incorrectly. I'll try to get more specific information on that when I talk to him next. My model is a cargo van 144"WB 2500.

In any case there is plenty of waiting remaining! So I have endless hours to research additional details for our SMB - like that passenger window auto-temperature roll down unit for the dogs...
Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #8

The good news - my 4x4 sprinter was produced on February 27.
The bad news - it still hasn't been assigned to a cargo ship.

And yes, as a cargo van it will be disassembled and reassembled in Ladson, SC.

Ah the waiting...
Old 03-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter4WD
The good news - my 4x4 sprinter was produced on February 27.
The bad news - it still hasn't been assigned to a cargo ship.

And yes, as a cargo van it will be disassembled and reassembled in Ladson, SC.

Ah the waiting...
Yaaay, glad to hear your van actually exists now! Big milestone. Waiting to hear what happens next...