Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 12:15 AM   #1

Stock wheels - keep 'em or leave 'em?

On my SMB West Sprinter build, I chose the Method Wheels upgrade. Should I keep the stock wheels as a backup set? I would need to haul them back home and store them in my shed. I figured if I didn't use them after a year in storage, I could just sell them on Craigslist. Your thoughts?

MtShasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

I donated mine to SMB Texas as part of the build. I have enough stuff sitting around here that I never use.....
Old 10-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtShasta View Post
On my SMB West Sprinter build, I chose the Method Wheels upgrade. Should I keep the stock wheels as a backup set? I would need to haul them back home and store them in my shed. I figured if I didn't use them after a year in storage, I could just sell them on Craigslist. Your thoughts?
They're not really a backup. If you crack a Method wheel, you'll replace it rather than put stock tires back on that are likely aged to a point that they're unsafe.

You could maybe get a few hundred if they're black wheels. If they're the gray wheels, donate them and skip the hassle.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #4

I kept the stock wheels from our E350 conversion by SMB West to help defray some of the cost of the work. Sold them on Craigslist. It's a matter of deciding whether the chore of lugging home 5 wheels (@ 80 lbs. ea. in my case), storing them & dealing with the sale is worth it.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #5

Seems like some enterprising person in the Fresno area should make a standing deal with SMB to purchase the take-off wheels and resell them. That's what Quigley did (and probably still does), and how I got a great deal on OEM Ford take-off alloy wheels and Michelin LTX tires back in 2012...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:12 PM   #6

As soon as you throw, or give, something away someone will post a wanted ad on this forum for that exact item. It's happened to me a few times, including when I tossed my old wheels/tires following my lift kit install.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
GAR

I say keep them, but once they sit for more than a couple of years, they are no longer serviceable from a safety stand point, unless they are new now. Check the DOT number on the tires, I would not keep them as a usable tire four or five years past the DOT date stamp, and then only if stored out of the sun.

You could use them as exercise drags on the beach when training for that future Everest climb, or have someone fab up a couple of flanges to use them on an olympic weight lifting bar and keep them for exercising your Jerk, Clean, or Snatch. -Thats what I did with my original Jeep tires/rims.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #8

One of the guys that fork lifted the tires to my SUV and asked if I was selling them and he offered me $300. I could only fit 4 of the 5 wheels in my SUV so I just sold them all to him.
MtShasta is offline   Reply With Quote