Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #1

Sun visor that swivels??????

One thing lacking on my 2006 Sprinter are sun visors that swivel so you can block the sun when it's pounding you on the side of your face.
I know about the little shades that are for sale (not interested) but wondering if anyone out there has found either an aftermarket visor or one off another van, truck or car that has the same bolt pattern and swivels.

bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: Sun visor that swivels??????

I had Rosen sun visors on my last airplane and they are the best in the world in my opinion.
You can buy them from Sporty's Pilot Shop, or find them on-line at: www.rosenvisor.com
Bill
Not cheap! But like anything worthwhile, very high quality.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

I have to comment on this and it will show you how determined I can be without doing my full research.

I thought that a 2006 Sprinter was an NCV3 model like the one I should be picking up next week. I guess I was off by a year.

I checked the visor on the van and it was locked in the flip down only position. I spent some time and could not get it to pop out and did not want to break the plastic retaining clip. Since it is a Mercedes I wasn't prepared to possibly break anything. I was told that little paper clip on the dash is about $300 to replace (that's what the Roadtrek guy siad anyway) so this could easily be $100.

I contacted Rosen and was about to spring the full $490 for 2 visors but hesitated when I saw how the window air curtain might knock it into me. I went so far as to call the Rosen folks and they were great. They had nothing for the new generation van but would sell me one for a test fitting at their cost. That's good people.

So today I was at the SMB shop and was talking to The Foreman about it and he asked me where the visors were that I told him I was ordering. He had offered to install them for me. He then stopped and went over and messed with the retaining clip and he popped it off. It works!

How the heck did I miss this the whole time?

Just shakin' my head...

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #4

Chumley:. How exactly did the foreman get the retaining clip off? This has been driving me nuts every time I drive north in the afternoon! I am going along and I reach for the visor to move it to the side window and then I remember it does not seem to go sideways and this has been happening since July when i picked the Sprinter up. I looked in the owners manual and could find nothing. Can it just be forced somehow? Can I skip the draped towel in the side window? Bill
Wsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #5

From what I have seen looking around that NO 2002-2006 Sprinter sun visors can swivel...

What about these?

http://www.langeoriginals.com/sprinterw ... ucts_id=11

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #6

I have a new (2011) Sprinter and do not see an easy way to swivel the sunvisors. As I understand Chumley's post, the foreman at SMB was able to find a way to "loosen" the clip on the other side from the swivel and swing it around to the side window. Is this correct? Bill
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

??? my 2102 2500 SMB cargo van conversion PH has conventional inboard clips and swings over to the windows on driver and the passenger side Do the high top models have a different factory setup or is this area modified by SMB for larger overhead storage? I will take a picture of it in the swivel position and the clip as soon as we have a little more daylight this grey wet morning
Attached Thumbnails
visor shot.jpg  
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

So I am not the only one that got stung by this one... whew feel much better now!

I tried to remove the retaining clip on the other visor and couldn't so decided that I would just let the SMB guys pull it off.

I wonder if it was installed in place to retain the visor during shipping an can only assume that the dealer is supposed to remove it during prep. In this case it appears that SMB is the party that preps the vans for delivery because I was shown glue drips on the body and bumper that they said were left by the factory and they said they have to remove it. I had thought they were just messy.

So if you look at the clip from the side it looks like you can slide it off with some effort but the SMB foreman may have just pulled it right off. I did not want to force it myself so I can ask next week at van delivery.

The visor is shaped properly to look like it was intended to swivel all along. It snaps into it's little detent clip area and everything. I too looked in the manual and couldn't find anything. I figured I had done my research and was ready to place an order. It does look exactly like the one Spenard shows, pretty sure it is the same.

I just saved over $500 so this was a nice discovery. Rosen does have a visor for the earlier model Sprinter, I think, and I saw the after market swivel conversion kits and thought that it applied to the newer models too. Oh well.

I am just surprised that the dealers don't take care of this consistently. I was also under the impression that the SMB foreman had not done this before. He was pretty happy with his discovery and made sure everyone knew that it worked this way.

Strange.

Reporting from the front lines, Chumley.
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #9

Mine worked from day one out of the smb west plant. They must of pulled the pins or the dealer down the road did. The pin might be some sort safety issue (in Germany) regarding the visor position for commercial use of the cargo van. My only beef about them is no vanity mirror or mirror illumination on the passenger side visor of a $40K van - how do those all those fed ex drivers keep themselves so well groomed and neat so they can flirt with my receptionist?
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #10

Well I popped the retaining clips off easily once I was sure I was not going to break something. Swivels just fine now. I think that since I bought the van from the Mercedes dealer in Austin and never saw it before the dealer brought it to Sportsmobile for conversion, it was actually "delivered" to me by Sportsmobile and never had official dealer prep. Thanks for the info and I no longer dread driving north in the afternoon. Bill