Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #91

My build is now delayed as late as July with possible 14 week build. That could be almost 22 months from the initial deposit. The major changes on the new 2018 European Sprinter will be available on US Sprinters for 2019-which is supposed to be available in late 2018. Brian asked me if I wanted to just wait for a 2019 model. I laughed (kindly) pretty hard and politely declined.

Major changes are coming in lithium offerings, but I don't have permission to elaborate.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #92

That is so frustrating! Is this delay due to getting the van or the schedule with Sportsmobile? (I'm trying to guesstimate how long it would take if I place an order soon-ish)
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #93

Deposit was made in late Dec. '16 with projected start date of 1-17-18. Dieselgate delayed MB shipping Sprinters by several months. MB builds is similar batches so one's order in the queue doesn't matter. What matters is when they decide to build a batch similar to yours. Sometimes SMB gets in a large batch and builds may take 14 weeks. If they get a small batch, the build may take as little as 6 weeks.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #94

According to Brian, SMB West still has not received any 2018 Sprinters, but will begin receiving some later this month. SMB-W expects MB to produce 96 vehicles for them in July. Those vans are expected to begin arriving in Fresno in Sept. or Oct., with the last of them entering SMB production in Feb. of 2019. With build time being 12-16 weeks, this means my van may now be as far away as June, 2019. We put down our $2k deposit in Dec. 2016. If that is the case, it will mean we waited 30 months from deposit to receipt of finished vehicle.

I am disappointed.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #95

Here’s what I did. It might work for you.

Long story short, I bought my own Sprinter and got it fit into the schedule earlier than planned due to the current 2018 Sprinter delivery lull so am now in proud possession of my Sportsmobile.

Here’s the long story.

I put my deposit down at SMB West in April, 2017 with a projected build date of 5/20/18, three days from now. Shortly after, I got wind of a Sprinter on order at the local MB dealer here in Montana due for delivery in Billings in September, 2017 that could still be customized to my needs. SMB West said that having my own Sprinter would not change my place in the build queue. But I jumped on the Sprinter order anyway. (A bird in the hand…)

The Sprinter arrived as scheduled in September so I informed SMB West that I had it in case they found themselves in a lull. They said it could happen but not to hold my breath. In January I was informed if I brought it in they could start production on it on February 22. Due to my own schedule I delivered it early, on February 9. They actually started production on it that day and it was ready for pickup on April 13.

Total time from deposit to pickup was 12 months. It took quite a bit of extra effort on my part to acquire the van and then drive it to Fresno from Montana but given the wait times you are talking about, it was definitely worth it.

LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #96

Thanks for the suggestions, Larry. Constructive input is always welcome.

Since we've already been waiting 17 months, the 13 more we might have is about the same as if we went out to buy a Sprinter from a dealer. Our build is kinda complicated and we ordered almost every option available. I kind of doubt we could get exactly what we want other than by just waiting this out.

Thanks again for the support though. If you have any other thoughts, feel free to share.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #97

Spent hour with Brian on Monday refining the build plan. He says our van will be one of the early units in the large batch they're about to start receiving. He says it should arrive in Sept. or Oct.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #98

Great! Are all of the build details settled?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Great! Are all of the build details settled?
Brian wants to move the lithium batteries from the passenger side storage area (above wheel well) to beneath the lower bed on the other side. This raises my bed higher above the wheel well. From there to bottom of the transverse upper bed there is now only 20", 4" for a thin pad and 16" for me. Insulation almost touching the top of me and batteries putting out heat below me. I think Brian and I are going to have some rethinking to do.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #100

It is now 2019. Our deposit was made in 2016. There is still no word on a Sprinter arriving in Fresno for upfitting.