Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #21

Immense thanks to Tim and his lovely wife Laura for allowing us to pick their minds for several hours today. We learned an incredible amount of technical stuff and made some outstanding new friends as well.

Question for Tim-Is the Apple CarPlay just software that goes on the OEM sound system in place of Becker Pilot Map or is there a different piece of hardware that has to be substituted?

WrinkledPants, I am leaning toward keeping OEM front bumper and embedding front winch like you did (Sorry Tim! ). Also, I found some other options and standard features lists and I think I have removed most of the stuff in my list that is already standard or not available. You and Tim both convinced us the alarm is worth having.

Thanks to Laura-you seem to have given my wife more confidence about going off road and away from civilization. She had no qualms about backpacking into the backcountry when young, but worries about us being stranded somewhere now in our 60s.

I will start on the SMB part of the build and post-SMB changes in a couple of days. We may make Van Compass wealthy! BTW-they say they are moving to Spokane this spring.

Here is my updated list that I'll probably send to Brian on Sunday night. Anyone is welcome to give feedback/suggestions for change before I do.

144’ WB (M2CA144) Tall Roof (DO3) Sprinter Cargo Van (Only OEM Windows: Driver & Front Passenger)

X30 Low and High Range 4x4 With 6 cylinder Diesel Engine

Exterior Color: Blue/Grey; Interior Color: Tunja Black Upholstery

CO1 Driver Comfort Package
F29 2 additional keys
SB2 Luxury Passenger Seat
SB1 Luxury Driver Seat
FJ1 Instrument Panel Storage Bin With Hinged Lid (What was the reason for deleting this?)
E46 12V Power Outlet @ Driver’s Seat Base

CO2 Driver Efficiency Package
MS1 Cruise Control
FR8 Rear View Camera
E1N Becker Map Pilot Navigation System (We Want To Use Apple CarPlay System In The Unit)
L16 Fog Lamps

CO4 Active Safety Plus Package With Active Parking Assist
LA1 High Beam Assist
Y45 Road Hazard Light/Emergency Flash Light (Omit if this is hand held.)
H21 Windshield Glass With Shade Band Any conflict w/ F49 or W70?)
EZ8 Park Aid System FRT & RR
JA7 Blind Spot Monitoring
JK3 I/P Cluster Pixel Matrix
Y10 First Aid Kit (Omit if Possible)
JA6 Collision Prevention Assist
CL4 Multi-Function Steering Wheel
JA5 Light & Rain Sensor
F68 Exterior Mirrors Power Heated
JW5 Lane Keeping Assist
LDO Overhead Control Panel With Reading Lights

ZH4 Downhill Speed Regulation
FY1 Security Alarm
D13 Roof Rails
HO4 Insulation Front
H20 or F49 Electronically Heated Windshield
W70 Privacy Glass
E40 Trailer Hitch Wiring Prep
T12 Two-Stage Slide Door Passenger Side
X90 & X93 Delete Badges
LGO or X13 Bi-Xenon Headlamps (Daytime Driving Lights Set to Off)
F46 Headlamp Cleaning System
VA7 Storage Compartment With Net Rear Doors
KL1 Auxiliary Fuel Sending Unit With Fuel Tap
I51 Fuel Gauge Optimized for Auxiliary Fuel Tap
LB9 Illuminated Exits
N62 PTO @ Front With Additional Alternator Bracket
SR8 Driver’s Seat Swivel
SR9 Passenger Seat Swivel
H16 Heated Driver’s Seat
H15 Heated Passenger Seat
S27 Storage Net Driver’s Seat Back
S28 Storage Net Passenger Seat Back
T74 Assist Handle Slide Door
X26 or R91 and R92 Delete Spare Tire And Bracket
MT4 High Idle Control Driver Adjustable
RM9+RF1, Mfg. Code 10, Tire Brand Continental (KO2 largest available on Method Std. Black Beadlocks)
CT1 Vibration Absorbers with DRS
V93 Wood Floor, Delete
Would like to discuss optimum start battery.

Can a single Espar D5 provide cabin hot air, cabin hot water, and engine pre-heat? I have heard that there is a kit which will allow this? Would it be better (even possible) to use D5 for water/air and separate factory Espar (Option H12) for engine pre-heat? I prefer one single unit to do all if possible.

Are either of the following already included in build? If not, can I get them?
X21 Heavy Duty Front Axle Package
X17 Suspension Package I or X19 Suspension Package III

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #22

Tom & Nancy,

It was a very enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. You have obviously put a lot of thought into your build, the end result will be worth it!

Apple CarPlay is a built in feature of the head unit you have installed. I'm sorry we didn't turn it on and play with it - it looks like another visit is warranted!

In our case we had a Kenwood DDX9903S 2-DIN Monitor Receiver with Bluetooth & HD Radio installed. DDX9903S | eXcelon | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA

This unit has 2 RCA video inputs for cameras, we have both front and rear. The unit requires a hard-wire connection between it and my Apple 6S iPhone, the plug is located in the dash top storage unit. (Check this feature on the newer units, at the time we purchased Bluetooth connectivity for the navigation feature wasn't yet available, it may be by now.) When plugged in all of the iPhones navigation features display on the screen and audio is channeled through the speakers, for us we have found that the system works really well for our needs. One downside is that the display is sometimes obscured by the glare that comes in from all the glass in the Sprinter's cabin, in that case whoever is in the passenger's seat simply picks up the phone.

I don't know who does the electronics package for SMB in Fresno (mine was a Texas build), but that is the person you need to have this conversation with. He can tell you all about the latest and greatest units that come with the CarPlay feature and help you select the one that best fits your needs.

As far as the front bumper, I have no issue with you following Wrinkledpants' lead! Having choices and the ability to customize these wonderful vehicles to our specific needs is what makes this so much fun and sharing our ideas what makes the Forum so valuable! You mentioned Van Compass, I do know that Mark is considering a new front bumper that will tie into their skid plate system for additional strength, I'm just not sure where that sits on his priority list. In my case I have to admit that I simply like the way the Aluminess bumper looks, plus it gave me the ability to add tie-downs on the top of the brush guards that allow attachment for anything long stored up on top of the van. I still have visions of putting the Grumman aluminum canoe up there, when I do having the ability to tie the bow down to the front bumper and not to a temporary attachment that interferes with the hood is important to me.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Can a single Espar D5 provide cabin hot air, cabin hot water, and engine pre-heat? I have heard that there is a kit which will allow this? Would it be better (even possible) to use D5 for water/air and separate factory Espar (Option H12) for engine pre-heat? I prefer one single unit to do all if possible.

Are either of the following already included in build? If not, can I get them?
X21 Heavy Duty Front Axle Package
X17 Suspension Package I or X19 Suspension Package III
The only way to know if you can get something is to go to MB's builder website. I really can't stress enough how important this is as many things that look like "options" in that PDF become "standard" with the weight, drivetrain, and length that you pick. AFAIK - the drivetrain for a 144 4x4 has no options for different axles or suspension bits.

Also, take a look at my options sheet. If it's indented, that means it's included with that option. For example, F01 includes SB2 and SB1 comfort seat options. So, you don't need to spec that. And you C04 includes the emergency flash light (Y45), which you can't selectively remove.

There is no way to heat the van with any of the MB factory options. The pre-heater will put out a little bit of heat into the cab, and could warm it up a bit if you had a wall behind the cab, but it won't heat your van. The rear heater option only works if the van is running.

You could do hot water with the factory block heater, but the cost to do so is essentially the same as the Rixen. Plus, there are all sorts of limitations you run into (total runtime, temp limits, starter battery voltages, etc). I could see this making sense for someone on a budget who was doing a home build, but for an SMB build, I'm finding it hard to justify the $1k in savings given all the headaches involved.

To heat the block with the Rixen D5 setup, you'd need a shutoff valve under the van (or remotely), and you'd need to add the heater line extension option, plus the cost of wiring up an electric pump. I'm not sure SMB would do the electric pump since it interferes with the coolant flow if it were to fail. You would also lose the ability to use the booster function while driving. If you start the van cold in a city, or up in a mountain when you're first 30 minutes of driving is downhill, the motor won't get warm enough on it's own so it's nice to use that booster function. With a Rixen setup doing the engine preheating, you'd need to activate this from the coach.

I wanted to use the factory block heater for as much as we could, but in the end, it seemed best to keep the two systems separate. Plus, having the ability to pre-heat the engine with the remote control when you're inside is pretty nice.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 AM   #24

Speaking of build dates, does anyone have any news on if and when the EPA will let Mercedes start importing Sprinters again? I ordered a 144" high roof 4x4 to build a SMB, but postings on the web indicate that the EPA is not happy with emissions of Mercedes and Chrysler diesels under certain conditions, and is not currently letting them be sold in the USA. Does anyone know of a website that tracks the status of EPA decisions?
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #25

Can't remember which, but either Brian or Jonathan @ SMB-W told me they expect virtually no changes for 2018 and a couple of minor ones in 2019.

Things I would like to see are 73" interior width in the back, nearer to vertical walls, and some of the European options like lockers.

While I have no fondness for the current administration, we could possibly see a loosening of regulations in EPA, DOT and other safety regulations, but at the same time could see tighter import restrictions.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #26

[/QUOTE]... we could possibly see a loosening of regulations in EPA, DOT and other safety regulations, but at the same time could see tighter import restrictions.[/QUOTE]

The EPA site, as far as I'm able to navigate it, shows no specific up or down vote on the import of Sprinters. Whether they're diesel or just a "German" import and therefore caught up in the import/export rhetoric...

There's no news from Europe or in the USA relative to anything holding up Sprinters other than, as SMBw and other dealers state, that it is taking a 9 plus months to get the orders filled.

Personally, my fingers are crossed that those with orders placed and waiting for their van to arrive and orders placed and worrying that they might get 'hung up'... the latter by the way, is us and our van! Come On Mercedes! Let's Go!
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #27

I have not heard of any holdups due to the EPA. There was a paperwork snafu briefly when MB changed the internal model designations, but that was more an oversight on their part.

We have our build date for May, and as far as I know, things are on schedule for SMB to start building in August.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
... build date for May, ...
Awesome. Make sure to get pictures out when and if you get them...
Old 04-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
These are the voyages ...:
Keep it coming TomH...
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #30

If one googles "EPA delay on Mercedes diesels" or a similar phrase, one can see that the EPA is taking their time to approve any and all 2017 diesels after the VW scandal. Mercedes Sprinter diesels have been emitting too much NOx at ambient temps under 50 degrees, so no 2017 Sprinters have been allowed to be delivered, although there are rumors that the issue may be resolved this month. The EPA let Mercedes continue building and selling 2016 Sprinters for a while during early 2017, but they have stopped that now. Mercedes has already cancelled the 2017 C class diesel because of EPA issues. Lots of new 2017 Sprinters are being built, but none have been allowed to be sold in the US yet, I have heard and read. If anyone has a confirmation of a 2017 model year Sprinter being licensed in the US, that will make me breathe a lot easier. Waiting a year for a 4x4 Sprinter SMB is hard. Not knowing if the EPA is ever going to let them be sold again is even tougher. ��
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote