Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #31

OurayMark PM sent

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #32

Googling Sprinter Engine Problems

This discussion of potential engine problems seems very important. After I read it I googled and found a lot of discussion. It seemed to me that, given the number of Sprinters on the road and the fact that Fedex must drive way more miles than any of us ever would, that the engine must be good. But the posts talk about serious problems at great expense one you pass 100,000. I'm nearly 65 and figure I'd buy a Sprinter (I bought a 2016 4x4 extended version), convert it and drive it for the next 15 years. It seemed to me the engine should last a million miles. My dealer said to expect 500,000 before any sort of problem. Is that all hogwash? Possibly those of you with high mileage could share your experiences.
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #33

Hello dford415, I too have done a lot of reading about the reliability of today's low emissions diesels. I bought a new Mercedes diesel back in 1984 that ran perfectly for 25 years until one of my kids totaled it. For better AND worse, those days seem to be gone. The plumes of black smoke are gone from today's diesels, but so is the legendary reliability and low maintenance costs. We SMB customers can choose the similar and highly-rated gasoline powered Transit, but the compromise is inferior fuel economy and no four-wheel drive. Is there hope for diesels in the future? Remember how cantankerous gasoline engines became back in the 70's when the EPA made manufacturers clean up their emmissions? Diesels may be in a similar phase now with better, more reliable emmisions technology still to come. Or, they may become the first victim of the phaseout of all internal combustion engines. Only time will tell. I personally have decided that the 4x4 Sprinter diesel is still the best option for me, and I plan to change the oil and maintain it better than the manufacturer's recommendations. I also plan to budget a lot more for repairs than I did with my old diesel. There seems to be no choice. Our government makes the rules on clean air and we have to adapt and pay the price.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #34

Don't forget about the Quigley Transit 4x4 option.

4x4 Vans : Quigley Motor Company, Inc.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #35

Moderators:

To the forum members as a whole, the information in the last few posts is a lot more important than my individual build thread. There are a lot of people who won't see this buried in this thread, so I am asking that these posts re. Sprinters and the EPA be moved into their own thread with an appropriate title like EPA Freezes Sprinter Sales in the Sprinter section.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #36

Sorry to get off track TomH. With luck we'll all be getting our dream Sprinter SMBs sooner rather than later. Question about your high/low beds at right angles. That is an option that appeals to us in our 144" high roof 4x4. Does the high bed on the countertop flip up when not in use, or will you stow it somewhere?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #37

Also TomH, you asked about the maximum fresh water tank size in your build. My build will be very similar, and Paul in the Austin shop said that for about $500 more, a custom tank of 30 or more gallons could be molded around the wheel well. I ordered a custom built 25 gallon tank for mine.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #38

Hi Mark,

We have changed the design a bit now. We will have Flarespace bumpouts in both side rear window spaces and an elevated transverse bed in the rear portion of that space. This bed will be 39" wide, will have notched corners, and will extend to the rear doors.

The lower bed will be 29" wide and run lengthwise along the driver's side, starting at the rear door. It will be just high enough to clear the rear wheel well. The foot of this lower bed will lie beneath the upper bed and the head of it will be in the open, abutting a vertical cabinet. Neither bed will flip up. I have seen the very narrow bench bunks on the SMB site that are suspended by chains on the corners that can flip up.

In my searches, I did come across this scissor hinge for a folding bed. It was on Pinterest, and the link now goes somewhere else. I did save the attached screen capture. Hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
Scisor Hinge.jpg  
Old 04-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #39

Tom, I like it! Very efficient use of space in a vehicle that can fit in a normal size parking place. I too have been looking at off-road style front bumpers and winches for my Sprinter. I really like the looks of this combo from Backwoods Bumpers. I don't know its weight, how it is attached, or anything else about it, but it is the coolest looking Sprinter front I have seen!
Old 04-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #40

This picture is what a Flarespace bump out looks like.

There are small sliding windows you can put in them.

Here is a bed platform extending into a Flarespace.

This one is from the SMB site.

The Flarespace bumpout does not interfere with the sliding door on any Sprinter model. You could put a bunk bed below the one in the Flarespace, but there would be no room for the torso to sit up. You'd also have to crawl in from the middle if cabinets abut the beds at head and foot. Look at the photo right above this and imagine another bed beneath. The platform has to be above the wheel well and the mattress on top of that.