Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #61

TomH,

If you are holding to an overall length of 20'-0" to 20'-4" your after-market options will be limited, as you well know.

For perspective, the overall length my 144" rig with the Aluminess winch bumper, including the winch protrusion, up front to the back of the Aluminess Deluxe box mounted on the Aluminess bumper in the rear is 21'-10". Taking the box off and measuring to the Aluminess bumper is 20'-7".

Van Compass makes a front receiver that installs with the front stock bumper, I'm guessing you have a good idea of what the overall length will be measured from front to back receivers. Does that fit within your length criteria?

There are a couple of threads on the Sprinter Forum that speak to the maximum tire size that can be fit into the stock spare tire carrier. Look here: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...t=44399&page=7, post # 68

Old 09-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #62

TomH,

Interesting, I was just going through our parking options as well. We have a bit more room to play with so the length restrictions aren't as crucial.

I want to reserve the stock spare tire location as a possible aux fuel tank location. The aluminess rear bumper with spare tire is part of our design.

However, we're going to have to expand our paver driveway towards the property line a bit. Also due to watershed restrictions can't do this work until next May now. So we'll need to store off site until next spring. Long term plan though is to have a spot to the side of the driveway. If I can I'll also have a dedicated 110 outlet coming out of the ground to hook-up while the van is parked.

Now that I'm home and off the ship, our final planning visit with Brian is scheduled for 9/25. looking forward to getting the project up and running!
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #63

TomH,

Bringing this back from the (very informative) thread drift in the Aero tank thread.

You have stated that your tire size will be restricted to the largest size that can be carried in the existing spare location. I understand your reasons but wanted to suggest this: Take a look at the existing spare tire setup with the thought in mind that you remove the cage that is there and have it rebuilt or replaced with something entirely different that will suit your purpose.

Mine was removed when the XL storage box was installed, but there is bound to be a Sprinter available to you with the stock configuration that you can look at.

The link I sent you previously talked about modifying the hinges, why not go a step further and modify the whole thing?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #64

You can fit a pretty big tire in the factory cage. SMB will modify it accordingly. Maybe not a 35" tire, but that's getting pretty drastic.

Tom - not sure a suspension lift will make sense for you given that VC's lift keeps the factory suspension geo. Their ground clearance increase comes from the larger 35" tire.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #65

Thanks, Fitz.

WP, I do realize that any additional clearance to the differentials, drive train, etc. can only come from larger diameter tires. OTOH, everything that's suspended from the body will be lifted. Depending on the vehicle and what's suspended, some things hang lower to the ground than the driveline, differentials, axles, etc. When the body is lifted, so are all the suspended items. That is why (along with ride improvement) I was looking at the lift in spite of staying with OEM sized tires. Nevertheless, YOUR POINT IS WELL TAKEN, and I appreciate it.

Fitz, I will surely look into your suggestion. Much thanks.

One concern I have is laying on my back and forcing a flat 35" tire up into the storage cavity. I don't recall any mechanism to lift it. I suppose I could carry it in the cabin until it was repaired and let the shop put it back in place.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #66

Flats are relatively rare these days. Unless you plan to be far off road, could you keep a smaller spare in the factory location and use it like a doughnut spare to get you to a tire shop?
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurayMark View Post
Flats are relatively rare these days. Unless you plan to be far off road, could you keep a smaller spare in the factory location and use it like a doughnut spare to get you to a tire shop?
Thanks for the advice. But the reason we are getting this rather than a traditional motorhome is because I want to go deep into Mojave Desert, Coyote Flats, Canyonlands NP. I used to be a wilderness guide. I now have obstructive sleep apnea and am too old to backpack any more, so this is my new ticket to get into the wilds. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #68

Believe me, when we blew a tire on the top of Coyote Flat we were grateful to have the full size spare to make it back out on.

TomH, suggest you think about carrying a receiver mounted spare tire carrier when using the van off road. That way you have a place to carry the flat if you have one without having to deal with putting it back up under the van. Take it off when parked at home, store it up top (probably best) or in the garage when on pavement.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #69

Thanks, Fitz. It's so great to have someone like you with an engineer's mind and the heart of a generous friend.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #70

I have an ulterior motive. I want you on the road so we can meet up on some trips and put the vans through their paces!

It will be good to see what you come up with for tire size. Your parameters have changed and thus your design, glad you are bringing us along as you go through the design process.