Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 AM   #71

Well you are very kind and I guarantee I will take you up on that offer. I hope some of these other guys come along too.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #72

I'm in Fresno for our final build meeting with Brian tommorow. Still have questions but time to jump in feet first.

Thanks to all for very informative info to help us make a educated decision on how to do our build.

All have helped tremendously, but I'd like to thank Fitz, Wrinkledpants, and TomH for the last three months of repeated directed replies and helpful info.

I know this isn't the thread for this but I'm working off a smart phone down here and just randomly chose TomH's thread!
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #73

Backcountryguy,

Enjoy the day tomorrow (and don't let Fresno's wild night life get in the way tonight!)
Ask questions, look at everything you can for ideas, and enjoy the process! You have done your homework, now is when it will pay off!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
I'm in Fresno for our final build meeting with Brian tommorow. Still have questions but time to jump in feet first.

Thanks to all for very informative info to help us make a educated decision on how to do our build.

All have helped tremendously, but I'd like to thank Fitz, Wrinkledpants, and TomH for the last three months of repeated directed replies and helpful info.

I know this isn't the thread for this but I'm working off a smart phone down here and just randomly chose TomH's thread!
I'm happy to share my thread with you anytime. Here's hoping everything breaks your way tomorrow!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #75

Great day today. One item which was proposed which I doubt we'll do is to put a platform bed in lieu of the dinette. This would allow the larger lithium battery and plenty of extra storage underneath.

However, this negates any seating at all in the back. Don't think we'll do it but it's an option which would allow the 450 Ah or 600 Ah lithium battery in battery box.

All else according to plan. Lithium setup as wrinkledpants had set-up which we'll need to change upon delivery.

Brian amenable to planning for Aerotank aux tank and also suggested I talk to John Brindle at Agile Off-road which I'll do.

Great day and we're off and running. That was a damn big check I handed him today (for us anyway)!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #76

Congratulations, BCG! The way I have our platform beds configured, there is a way to put one extra seat on the lower bed. We also get all that storage you mentioned. We are fine with the swivel seats being where we sit and eat. We will have pop-up trays that face both seats when they are swiveled. The DIY planner doesn't show the Flarespace bumpouts that allow the upper bed to be over 75" long. A regular single mattress will go there and we'll fill the area behind it with oddly cut foam to increase snuggle space.

We'll also have overhead storage in the cab which isn't shown here. "Custom cabinet" is toilet room turned sideways-composting toilet, no shower, storage above toilet.

This is, of course, a high-roof Sprinter. This layout would not work well with a penthouse.
Attached Thumbnails
SMB1.jpg   SMB2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #77

TomH,

Thanks much. I'm going to discuss this with my wife when I get home and I'll let all know which way we go. I like the idea for just the 2 of us. The issue is the very rare occasional come along couple we have with us, or even our nephew who loves the outdoors and visits from the East coast.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #78
tlg

Garage
Congrats BCG. Enjoy the journey!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #79

BCG, take a look at my floor plan. I wonder if a removable seat could be placed behind the front passenger seat. Take it out when not in use, put it in when needed. (Maybe even an auxiliary flip down/flip up auxiliary seat.) That plus a seat from the lower bed could give you two extra seats.

It surely is not my place to push you in any direction. Just trying to think of ideas that might meet all of your needs. I don't know where extra people would sleep, though, unless you take a tent or tow a trailer. I am actually considering a <5,000 lb trailer to tow. For offroad, perhaps an Adventure Trailer. For onroad, maybe this.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #80

Hey BCG,
I've been reading here for quite awhile as I get closer to putting down the deposit and getting the Sprinter ordered, especially posts regarding lithium ion, for same reason as you, dogs and AC and no desire for propane or gen. I finally got to the end of Wrinkled Pants' posts and was surprised to see he wasn't able to get what he needed from SMB. I plan for a platform bed anyway, mostly for under-bed storage and room for in-van components. Do I understand your post #75 correctly, that if you opt for a platform bed, SMB can install the larger lithium batteries and avoid the limitations of space, venting, RIVA regs, etc., that put the kibosh on WP's build? I don't have access to a great marine electrician like you do so would be very interested to see if SMB was now amenable to doing the build you and WP initially wanted, without most of the post-conversion work. Thanks!
eradikate is offline   Reply With Quote