Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 51
the birth of a gentle giant

A belated announcement - I picked up the new rig and promptly took it for its shakedown. Damn is it a fine piece of machinery.

With much gratitude for all of the knowledge gained from forum posts, and especially for all of the direct responses to many questions along the way. Truly.

I'll post some responses and additional reactions in individual threads for a few specific topics, but for now, expectations far exceeded.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2051.jpg   IMG_2058.jpg   IMG_1918.jpg   IMG_1898.jpg   IMG_1941.jpg  

__________________

mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
expectations far exceeded.
Glad to hear it, looking forward to seeing you and your van in person!

Did you get to drive the fully built out rig much on the stock suspension prior to the upgrades? Curious as to your observations on that particular upgrade.
__________________

__________________
“Flint” - 2016 SMB Sprinter 4x4 144" RB 150S w/ PH
KN6BJX
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Member
 
Steadijib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: So Cal
Posts: 32
Garage
Congratulations on the new rig...mine arrived in Jan. nice color as well Im a bit partial. I'm still deciding on my suspension build thinking about the Agile rip kit.
Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 451
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
A belated announcement - I picked up the new rig and promptly took it for its shakedown. Damn is it a fine piece of machinery.

With much gratitude for all of the knowledge gained from forum posts, and especially for all of the direct responses to many questions along the way. Truly.

I'll post some responses and additional reactions in individual threads for a few specific topics, but for now, expectations far exceeded.
G'day.
Where were these images taken? Looks a great trip, with a beautiful new rig.
Doug
__________________
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadijib View Post
Congratulations on the new rig...mine arrived in Jan. nice color as well Im a bit partial. I'm still deciding on my suspension build thinking about the Agile rip kit.
I can offer you a ride in a van with the Van Compass suspension if you want to come to the Bay Area. It would be nice if you could ride in both before you decide.
__________________
“Flint” - 2016 SMB Sprinter 4x4 144" RB 150S w/ PH
KN6BJX
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Glad to hear it, looking forward to seeing you and your van in person!

Did you get to drive the fully built out rig much on the stock suspension prior to the upgrades? Curious as to your observations on that particular upgrade.
Yes, likewise Fitz.

I basically drove straight to Van Compass, with 1/2 a vacation on the way. So, a couple thousand miles, mix of highway, surface streets mostly, but I did get a few hours off road in a terrain park in OR. To be honest, out of the gate this is the nicest driving car I've ever owned, and coming from a clapped out 2002 CRV it didn't feel like it needed anything! So I'm not the best before/after opinion.

But pleased with the results - feels more stable and confident on high speed turns on the highway, more planted with less perceived tilting and less nervousness from sitting up so high. I went back to the same trails post upgrade and was immediately riding way faster offload, as well as ripping down the dirt roads and washboard with great confidence. Does it drive like a Mercedes car now? I'd say no, it's still a van and a huge vehicle. But it's a tank with serious class.

The VC guys are fantastic. They are super dedicated, know their shit, and I have a lot of trust in their design. Would do it again, and having read a lot about VC and agile their system makes a lot of sense to me. Good thing, since it's done!
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post
G'day.
Where were these images taken? Looks a great trip, with a beautiful new rig.
Doug
Thanks Doug. We climbed at smith rock for a few days, and at castle crags. Spent a little time in the Oregon ATV parks - I had no idea what that even meant, or how fun! Great trip.

Hedonic adaptation has been instantaneous. One mildly chilly morning, I looked out the window at some people setting up their Coleman stove in the dirt, and thought: "Savages."
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadijib View Post
Congratulations on the new rig...mine arrived in Jan. nice color as well Im a bit partial. I'm still deciding on my suspension build thinking about the Agile rip kit.
She's a beauty!

Sprinter-source forum has a lot of discussion of the suspension kits, including some direct thoughts from the VC guys. Curious to hear what you choose - sounds like both are great setups.

Recommend the sliders as well. Skid plates next for me, at some point.
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
BVerhulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 180
Having not traveled in Oregon extensively / recently, I'm curious about the ATV permit in your photo. Are there special "parks" that require permits? For full size vehicles?
__________________
Brian
2009 E-350 Lopes 55
BVerhulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
Having not traveled in Oregon extensively / recently, I'm curious about the ATV permit in your photo. Are there special "parks" that require permits? For full size vehicles?
it was 10 bucks for a permit. presumably everything. These parks are scattered all around the state it seems. they've got glossy maps with trails graded by use (narrowness, it seems) and difficulty. playgrounds for boys and their toys. (and girls too - met a 5 year old on a pink atv!)

I'm sure we can find out more online, but it's amazing
__________________

mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.