Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
michaelf and winmag4582001 have made reference to diesels never catching on in the US

^ To be clear TomH, I never made a reference of that sort. My OP was snips of the linked articles for the lazy among us.

What I'd give for a Hilux though.

michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #32

I read the "Sprinter Guy" dude's blog, we've gotta 6 cylinder ordered. Sounds ok so far, but, it's a 4x4... so back to limbo. We'll be waiting to hear from BrianF and interested in hearing what comes outta the June Mercedes Sprinter meeting Sprinter Guy dude mentioned.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
^ To be clear TomH, I never made a reference of that sort. My OP was snips of the linked articles for the lazy among us.

What I'd give for a Hilux though.
Gotcha. I am used to seeing things in italics or quote boxes and overlooked the little "/snip". What particularly caught my attention was when 86Scotty quoted only that part from your post then reacted to it. It then looked like those words were yours. Apologies and thanks for clarifying.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #34

Garage
G'day.
Here in Australia, most 4WD vehicles are diesel. All commercial trucks are diesel. And now, here, many Jaguars, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Audi etc., Cars/SUV's are diesel.
Imagine a new Ford e350 Van with the Cummins(same as one in new Nissan pickup) V8 5.0 diesel, 32valve, BiTurbo, light weight, powerful & economic, would be amazing!
Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #35

Copied from this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurayMark View Post
SMB contacted me this morning to say that they have reliable sources telling them that the EPA has finally cleared the 2017 6- cylinder Sprinters which have been impounded in South Carolina. They said the vans' engine software will be modified and the they will start shipping next week. I have not been able to find independent confirmation in the news, but SMB said Sprinters are being treated differently than Mercedes diesel cars because Sprinters are considered commercial vehicles. Apparently the Mercedes diesel cars have still not been approved. Interestingly, about 2 weeks ago the head of Mercedes USA said MB may be fined for past diesel 'cheating' and that MB may or may not sell diesels in the US again. But with luck, SMB's source is correct and new vans will finally start shipping next week. We'll know very soon!
Old 05-05-2017, 04:51 AM   #36

Thanks for the patch TomH. I commented on the other thread that this is heartening; I also asked OurayMark to link the article that the news regarding MB '...may or may not...' sell diesels in the USA, in the future, came from so we can all have a look at the source.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurayMark View Post
EmMay, here are a couple of the articles. On April 26, 2017 many news outlets reported some version of this story:

Mercedes diesel risks in the US market

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...plate=mobile02

But again, SMB contacted me yesterday to say that commercial vehicles like Sprinters are being treated differently by the EPA and that the impounded Sprinters in South Carolina should be released next week after receiving a software "fix"
UPDATE from Terranaut Thread by OurayMark regarding sources. Haven't read them yet but will later this morning.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #38

SMB west and tex are expecting Sprinters to be arriving in the next week or so, per SMB west confirmation. Until they're in we wait and see...

In regards to Daimler selling diesel Autos, looks like they are bowing out for now:

Daimler drops bid to win approval to sell U.S. 2017 Mercedes diesels | Reuters

Within the article is this quote: 'Daimler won approval in late April to sell U.S. diesel Sprinter commercial vans after months of talks with regulators.'; so, as far as Sprinter Vans, heavier duty rigs (and the 6cyl. to start) it appears to be decided so far as regulations are concerned.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #39

Well, that sounds pretty official. Good news for a lot of people.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #40

Well there go my dreams of a (6-speed manual AWD) diesel Metris. Not that I was holding my breath...
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote