Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #11

Re: The Sportsmobile Sprinter design and build checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSt
During design, if you even think that you will be buying a portable generator, make sure that there will be a decent space to store it. -don
Don,
Thanks for sharing your build tips.
Are there any issues with storing the generator filled with gas inside the van, directly below where you sleep?
I was under the impression that these had to be kept outside.
Thanks

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #12

The Sportsmobile Sprinter design and build checklist

Well. You've got a point there with the recall on the Honda generator.
DonSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #13

I have some more items that I will be adding to the checklist shortly.

I will post them and then add them to the checklist so you don't have to read the whole darn thing every time to find the updates. I might italisize them for a while too, we'll see what works best over time.

One of the things I did was order the "daytime running lights" option. It is now what I see as a mistake, especially when added to the automatic light sensor.

It turns out that the Mercedes folks turn on the main headlights to act as the daytime running lights, not a separate light of any kind. So you end up burning up your headlamps with this option. Try parking your rig at night and leveling it in a campground and see how popular you are when you can't seem to turn off your lights! On top of this the automaitc light sensor is not needed since they are always on. Why someone did not catch this and tell me I don't know but then the Sprinter seems to be a sort of bastard child to some Mercedes dealers.

What I finally found out by calling Mercedes direct was that I could turn off the headlights and leave on the rest of the lights. This is not in the manual and the dealer did not know about this simple workaround. Also of note: up until the 2012 model year I was told that there was a way to program the daytime lights off in the instrument panel if you had the steering wheel controls.

I would recommend you think about how much you want your headlights on full time if you select the daytime running light option. If you do it you certainly won't need the automatic headlight sensor.

Keeping the lights on for you...

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley
One of the things I did was order the "daytime running lights" option. It is now what I see as a mistake, especially when added to the automatic light sensor.
Chumley
I also specified the "daytime running lights" option, then my Sprinter salesman explained that this option is for states/countries that require you to have your lights on all the time. I removed the option to save money, then when the Sprinter was delivered I used the steering wheel buttons to program the headlights to be on all the time for safety and convenience. To turn them off I just set the light switch to the parking light position.

David
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #15

The Sportsmobile Sprinter design and build checklist

Chumley,
Can you elaborate on the workaround for turning off the headlights if you have the daytime running light option. I too find this option frustrating.
-don
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #16

David, I assume you do not have the steering wheel controls? I read your post, re-read the owner's manual and then went out and tried what you posted with my fingers crossed. I think that my steering wheel controls worked against me on this. There is no "menu" button in my instrument cluster and instead it is an oil level check button (I was wondering what that little raindrop looking symbol meant). I did include this in the updated checklist. Thanks.

DonST, I found out that the way to you turn off the headlights is to turn on the "parking lights", go figure. It leaves all of the other lights on (parking, tail and license plate) but at least the headlights are off.

We are not alone in finding out how our Sporinters work. The fatory technicians and the customer service folks are right there besides us as we try to figure all of this out.

More updates to come.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #17

Chumley, I do have the steering wheel controls. I will be able to tell you exactly what I did when I get my van back in a couple of weeks. I think you can go to a "settings" position with the lower left pair of buttons, then use the upper left pair to find the lights always on setting. But I suspect that if you order the always-on option then there is no way to change the settings back to not-always-on.

David
Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley
DonST, I found out that the way to you turn off the headlights is to turn on the "parking lights", go figure. It leaves all of the other lights on (parking, tail and license plate) but at least the headlights are off.

Chumley
Thanks for responding. I was hoping(wishing) there was something else. When I'm running a high idle to keep my shower water hot(flat plate water heater), I usually turn the headlights off so I can get more battery charge at the same time. After we are done with hot water, I shut down the engine and usually forget that I've left my parking lights on. Losing some battery charge in the process.

Btw, the high idle option should be recommended in the design and build checklist if the flat plate water heater is going to be ordered. It really helps to keep the water temp stable.

-don
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #19

I would like to offer my assistance with anyone looking for "Correct" info about the new Sprinter Vans. I have the 2014 Sprinter order guide on my website, as well as the current inventory of 2013 and 2014 Sprinter vans available.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I can answer for this group.

Thank you,

Dave the Sprinter Guy

http://www.sprinterguy.com

the "Sprinter Guy"

Mercedes-Benz of Georgetown
Georgetown Texas, 78627

512-930-6158

dgraham@mbofgeorgetown.com
www.SprinterGuy.com
theSprinterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #20

Dave,

I think that this thread needs some updating, especially with the 2014s now offering so many more options.

Also, if there is any basic information that is incorrect please feel free to post it here. I will do my best to go back and update the post as soon as I get a chance which might not be for a while since I am in the middle of a move and fixing up my house for sale.

I used your website extensively to prepare the original post but an update is long overdue.

Thank you for all of the help to the Sprinter community.

Chumley