Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #21

Re: The Sportsmobile Sprinter design and build checklist

Chumley,

Is the following correct:

1. What size, length?
a. Regular wheelbase. SMB RB= 144” wheelbase, 79.7” width (all models) x 232” overall length, 45.2 ft. turning radius. Please Note: Mercedes 144 WB = SMB "RB".

b. Long wheelbase, SMB LB= 170” wheelbase, 273” overall length, 52.5 ft. turning radius. Please Note: Mercedes 170 WB = SMB "LB".

c. Extended wheelbase, EB= 170” wheelbase, 289.2” overall length, 52.5 ft. turning radius. Please Note: Mercedes 170 Extended (EXT) = SMB "EB".

I think the SMB EB is 273 inches and the SMB LB is the 289.2 inches version.

spasbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasbruin
Chumley,

1. What size, length?
a. Regular wheelbase. SMB RB= 144” wheelbase, 79.7” width (all models) x 232” overall length, 45.2 ft. turning radius. Please Note: Mercedes 144 WB = SMB "RB".

b. Long wheelbase, SMB LB= 170” wheelbase, 273” overall length, 52.5 ft. turning radius. Please Note: Mercedes 170 WB = SMB "LB".

c. Extended wheelbase, EB= 170” wheelbase, 289.2” overall length, 52.5 ft. turning radius. Please Note: Mercedes 170 Extended (EXT) = SMB "EB".

Good catch, You are correct in your correction.
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #23

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

With the 2008 the dealer could turn them off.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvoudy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasbruin
Chumley,

1. What size, length?

Good catch, You are correct in your correction.
Wow, I thought I fixed that over a year ago... Oops.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #25

Great post - FYI another consideration (per SMB) is that they will not do a build-out on an EB or LB 4x4 unless it is the dually configuration.
DudleyTania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #26

I'm brand new to this forum. I've ordered a Sprinter from Mercedes and I've secured a build date with Sportsmobile Fresno. Both build and delivery and build of the Sportsmobile are a long way out but I want to plan as thoroughly as I can. Reading here I'm questioning my first decision. I live in New Mexico so I ordered the 170 WB ext from Mercedes 3500 4x4. My thinking was the extra space and the 4x4 give me lots of flexibility. Reading here I see comments about both problems with the ext and problems with the 3500 4x4 in snow. I'd appreciate any thoughts.
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #27

This is an amazing forum that I've just discovered. I've been thinking about getting a Sprinter Sportsmobile the last few months and I've only read what's on the company website. This forum gives the users' perspectives on what's good and bad about some of the configurations.
I am planning to get a new Sportsmobile in 2016. Hopefully, I'll have it ready by the summer, so that I can get away from the heat in Phoenix. I am mostly a solo traveler but occasionally I may have a guest with me. I don't do off-roading but I plan to camp. I plan to drive around the US and Canada, visiting the National Parks and other places of interest.
I was thinking of a EB but after reading some of the forum, I may be better off with a RB so that I can drive easily in the urban areas. There are so many options that I am almost overloaded with information. Should I get with the standard options or should I customize?
I was thinking of visiting the factory in Fresno and have a close-up look at some of the options. I was even thinking of renting one to see how it feels but the closest Sportsmobile rental place is in Las Vegas. Is there SMB owner in the Phoenix area that I can chat with and learn more about this amazing vehicle?
Thanks everyone!
Happy New Year and Happy Traveling in 2016.
mercilessmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercilessmeng View Post
This is an amazing forum that I've just discovered. I've been thinking about getting a Sprinter Sportsmobile the last few months and I've only read what's on the company website. This forum gives the users' perspectives on what's good and bad about some of the configurations.
I am planning to get a new Sportsmobile in 2016. Hopefully, I'll have it ready by the summer, so that I can get away from the heat in Phoenix. I am mostly a solo traveler but occasionally I may have a guest with me. I don't do off-roading but I plan to camp. I plan to drive around the US and Canada, visiting the National Parks and other places of interest.
I was thinking of a EB but after reading some of the forum, I may be better off with a RB so that I can drive easily in the urban areas. There are so many options that I am almost overloaded with information. Should I get with the standard options or should I customize?
I was thinking of visiting the factory in Fresno and have a close-up look at some of the options. I was even thinking of renting one to see how it feels but the closest Sportsmobile rental place is in Las Vegas. Is there SMB owner in the Phoenix area that I can chat with and learn more about this amazing vehicle?
Thanks everyone!
Happy New Year and Happy Traveling in 2016.

Build time is currently a 16 month wait in Fresno. You can rent a Sportsmobile from Tonto Trails in Durango, they have 3 vans for rent.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #29

Build planning

I'm also planning a build and am on the calendar for Fresno. I never contacted any of the other locations but my date was a year out when I got on the list. I agree this is a great forum but hope we can get more involvement from people who have built recently or are planning a build. I ordered my van already and given that wait was about 8 months I can make changes to features for about another month but can't change the basic build. I ordered the extended length 4x4. I thought I should get the extended length because even though it's only a foot and a half (a little less actually) that seemed to give me a lot of flexibility. I also ordered the 4x4 again because I thought that gave me more flexibility. I'd welcome comments on those choices. More important though I'd really welcome comments about the features I should be sure to include and those I should not include. My contact at Sportsmobile has been very helpful but I hope to be the best choices possible. Thanks in advance.
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #30

I just talked to the Sales Manager, Nick, in Fresno this morning. He said if I order today, it'll probably be early 2017 before I get my SMB. Wow...I can't believe it's going to take that long but I think it'll be worth the wait.
I am planning to take a trip to Fresno to tour the factory and have a more in-depth discussion with the factory staff.
I haven't decided what model and what features I want. I think I just need a RB and no 4x4. All the things I need in a compact RV instead of a big RV.
Any SMB owner in the Phoenix area I can talk to and maybe even look at his/her vehicle?
Thanks.
mercilessmeng is offline   Reply With Quote