Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

thoughts on sprinter with 100k on it?

Hi,
I am considering buying a sprinter, 2017 4x4 with close to 100k miles on it, any thoughts or considerations, etc? I had a dealer tell me that you need to change out the dpf at about 100k to the tune of about 3000 dollars? Any other big ticket items folks have run across?
Thanks,
J

yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #2

Just remember that everything on that is expensive to replace. When anything goes out, it's $1000. My plumber friend had one for work and sold it when he spent $18k in one year on maintenance. Had about 150k miles on it.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Unfortunately being of Freighliner/Mercedes origin Sprinters weren't really intended for the "consumer" market, more of a medium-duty fleet truck. Like so many similar vehicles that became differently purposed unsuspecting buyers soon enough realized sticker shock at upkeep, how seemingly simple easy steps cost many times more than they'd experienced with typical personal vehicles.

Add in a lot of things related to Sprinters were dealer-only items and the got cha scenario is complete. Freightliner nor their dealerships care who owns one, the price is the price is the price---they're not shy about saying so either.

Not sure I'd recommend a well-used Sprinter unless you go into knowing its a potential money pit, could possibly be another used car horror story.

IMHO anyway----YMMV!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

thanks for the input, I've been feeling a bit uneasy about the potential costs on this one.
Right now, certain new sprinters are coming with a bumper to bumper 100k mile warranty, through oct 31 apparently, which sounds pretty good. looking at a new passenger 4x4 that would come with that warranty.
yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #5

I can not speak about the new models, but the older 2002 to 2006 5-cylinder models seems to be reliable. I been using a 2004 hightop model for 5 years now and have put over 100k on it in that time without any major problems. Just be sure to do the routine servicing as recommended. For a 8,500 pound vehicle that gets on average 25 mpg out on the road, I feel the Sprinter is hard to beat.
--
Curt
Anchorage, Alaska
charris is offline   Reply With Quote