Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #21

Re: Totaled Sportsmobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
If you only had Liability Coverage, they would have still been on the hook for the full value.
My wife just got $12,000 just for "pain and suffering" after being hit by a big rig at fault. She spent 6 hours in an E.R. with side tenderness (possible bruised kidney), off work for three days and one follow-up with our Family Doctor. All medical and medications were paid by the trucking company insurance. We also got a very fair and very fast settlement on our car too.

I think they were scared that we were going to sue, lots of witnesses. I guess this "first pitch" was much cheaper then they thought we could "win" if we took them to court.

I was very surprised though. Thought we had a fight at first.

Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #22

Re: Totaled Sportsmobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Hi Vic,

Good to read the ending may have an acceptable outcome. Good luck.

Ques to someone who knows more about insurance:
Vic writes CNA (insurance company of the truck driver who was at fault?) would have only paid him half of the value of his rig (rig w/o mods) if Vic had not insured his rig as a SMB with mods. Why is this? If I choose to paint my rig in gold leaf for $100k and essentially choose to self insure for that mod, why is it an at fault party's insurance company does not have to make me whole (up to the policy limits, of course) ? This seems wrong. I can understand MY insurance company taking that stand as I had not disclosed the $100k in gold leaf to them, but that should not impact what I am due if the other party's insurance is paying.

Just wondering ::

Thxs,

Ray
Yes, it sounds like an equitable outcome. We bought one of our cars back with salvage title and happily drove it for a few more years until the engine developed a rod knock. It was a relatively easy fix body-work wise and was a very functional car for us post-accident.

I'm also curious to see what the folks in the insurance business have to say about Ray's inquiry above.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote