Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #1

Usable length for penthouse platform bed?

Well, after going through a plethora of options(*) in trying to find the best fit for my needs, I've circled back around to a Sprinter, which was my original dream vehicle when this planning started maybe a year ago. The original plan was a 170" WB but that has been down-sized to a low roof 144" with penthouse. This latest choice is heavily dependent on the real (i.e. usable) dimensions for the penthouse bed. The Sportsmobile website shows two lengths in their description, 6'4" and 6'8" (the longer length appears to be a math error since 60" + 16" isn't 6'8"). I think the 6'4" length may be okay for me as long as it's 100% usable. If any of you with a penthouse bed can provide real use dimensions it would be much appreciated. On the same topic, does the platform feel solid (I may have up to 400+ pounds up there ). Also, how is the comfort?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

(*) My sequence of "this must be the answer" vehicles has gone: 170" WB Sprinter -> Econoline Wagon -> F-250 w/pop-up camper -> F-250 with simple shell -> 144" Sprinter with penthouse

freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Usable length for penthouse platform bed?

I have the extension and rarely use it. I'm 5"10 and I only use it when we are both up top watching a movie. Pretty sure we have 400 lbs up top with the two of us and two dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Re: Usable length for penthouse platform bed?

You could probably order a custom length bed that'd be a little longer than the one on the website.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratworst
You could probably order a custom length bed that'd be a little longer than the one on the website.
Yeah the PH beds come in all shapes and sizes. I would find a memory foam topper that you like and match to that, or go a little longer. You can have 1 big piece or 5 small pieces, go 60/40- you could actually make as much bed as you have PH rail, but you'd have to put at least one piece in after you got up.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

Thanks all for the info. Didn't know about the extension option but I guess that seems obvious now that you've mentioned it.
freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Our 2012 Sprinter PH has a usable 6'-4" length upper bed and it will hold 400#. I am 6-2 and don't feel cramped. We use a memory foam topper from Costco that fits perfect and comes with a bag. It adds to the comfort and effectively spans the hole at the head of the bed for PH rear latch. We use the countertop (no built in stove) to get up and down as the ladder is kind of clunky to deal with IMHO. BTW if you get a longer bed it may extend past the midpoint of the side door opening, increasing the chance of bumping your head on it when its down when you get in.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote