Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #21

Expanding on the transformer concept:

The platform can be moved up/down using the supertrac stuff. This afternoon I'll test fit the bikes back there and find what will probably be the "default" height (hopefully close to what is in the photo).

With the platform, bench, and galley removed it'll be very open. With the galley removed and the crew bench moved to the stock location there will be lots of room for toy hauling.

If somebody wanted they could add a bench seat and haul lots of people (two bench seats would provide passenger van capability for 8 people). I'll probably never do this but pucks in the floor to access the stock bolts was simple.

Also in the "maybe" category... it should be possible to set the platform at just high enough to clear the stock bench seat. Like that it will provide a narrow but serviceable bed if we need it. With the pop-top this was low priority and I haven't built a "tail-gate" like extension yet. Need to experiment with that but I've other fish to fry first.

Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #22

Platform detail photo
Attached Thumbnails
BAEF9183-ED8B-4FA2-B109-FBD4B632465F.jpg   4DDF8628-FFE5-44ED-A4BD-FCB4FE6255BF.jpg  
Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #23

Garage
Great use of the Supertrac! Can’t tell what you used for seat tracks.. same, similar? More to worry about with Seat safety...

I’m looking to make my galley removable as well and, hopefully, most of everything else. Like your galley... custom by you or somebody else? With that faucet setup, looks like you must be using an electric pump?

Thanks for the pics. The more the better!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #24

Garage
BTW, re upside down pics... for some reason, smartphone pics you take “portrait” style will turn sideways on this forum, so I always take them “landscape” style. But looks like you figured that out.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Can’t tell what you used for seat tracks.. same, similar? More to worry about with Seat safety...
Its a crew van with the stock mounts in the floor. This is the 'second row' position which, although not obvious, are available if you're willing to cut a hole in the floor of your new van. My father-in-law loved doing that with me. Probably as safe as we're going to get. All stock MBZ seating.

Quote:
I’m looking to make my galley removable as well and, hopefully, most of everything else. Like your galley... custom by you or somebody else?
I should have noted: I worked with colorado camper van to build this all out to my (rotated) drawings.

(Yup, figured out how to take my photos)

Quote:
With that faucet setup, looks like you must be using an electric pump?
Yes, I thought a manual pump would be nice but frankly we had [a similar] pump/sink setup in our old van and it worked great. We had space [in the cabinet] next to the sink for the electric pump and, since we tried hard to make that 3rd bench seat somewhere you could actually sit, really didn't have room for the floor pump. It was a tradeoff.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #26

Otter asked about seats. A picture is worth a bunch of words.
Attached Thumbnails
1B014EFD-59D4-4271-BEB5-ABFDE6137F3C.jpg  
Old 10-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #27

Very nice build. Love the adjustable bed setup. Did you do anything to prevent rattles or was it quiet to begin with?
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
Very nice build. Love the adjustable bed setup. Did you do anything to prevent rattles or was it quiet to begin with?
Ha! I've driven only a few miles yet with this setup. Currently the tolerances are actually a bit too tight and the platform components can barely be inserted much less rattle. It was totally silent on hw/back-roads but the real test is always washboard.

I'm considering providing them a bit more space but will of course have to deal with rattle after that. I *hope* that with stuff on them and whatnot this won't be an issue but time will tell.

Because of the supertrac my plan has been a puck from above that "presses down" on the platform. Should be trivial to add if needed.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #29

You are building my perfect van...can you PM me details on the build with CCV? Looks great!
DJSponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #30

Coming along nicely Pritikin. I'm in Boulder too. We should compare notes some time.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote