Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #11

Re: Voice your complaints here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns
I am working on a bunch of sketch plans for SMB sprinters now, will be making a factory visit to SMB West next week to see what's feasible and check out their builds. One thing I am going to ask them is if they can turn a "Dinette W" sideways with 30-36" width so we could have a fore and aft convertible dinette. Don't see why it wouldn't work. If so, this might answer your needs as well.

I am trying to get to either an EB Chevy with high fixed top (Cruiser II), or SB Sprinter with penthouse, either of which would have an upper bed and lower convertible dinette, rear bath and mid-kitchen.
Chromisdesigns - do you mean a dinette like the ones pictured in the attachment?
These are fore/aft bench seats that convert in a bed
That is something we have considered for our design as one of two beds.
Attached Thumbnails
dinette kodiak 01.jpg   dinette chinook concourse.jpg  

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #12

@Windguy --

Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about. I have an email in to SMB West now to see if they can do it.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns
@Windguy --

Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about. I have an email in to SMB West now to see if they can do it.
ok. I like the concept of this design as an efficient use of space and to provide a well positioned table that doubles as extra counter space for food prep when cooking. We saw a lot of these at an RV show as a convertible 2nd or 3rd bed and they are very easy to convert. I've included another attachment of one. I've saved a bunch of these pics hoping to use them as models for our design. Also attached is a dinette from the SMB website. This one has the benches on a track, which I'm not in favor of. Will be curious to hear what SMBW says regarding this.

Attached is our rough floorplan (two years old) that shows how the dinette is positioned. the marine toilet has since changed to a porta potty and not sure on the shower pan but I think the rest of the design is still the same, but frankly I haven't visited this in a very long time since we are still in the early dreaming stage.

Our plan is to build a mock-up/prototype of the dinette ourselves to check form and function and then have SMB replicate it later when we are sure it works. In fact we plan to do that with the whole van design as best we can and take some trips see how it works out in the real world before having the thing built that way. Too hard for me to take a paper based design and go straight to build expecting it to be the way we want it. I don't have that vision and experience.

Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
dinette winnebago 01.jpg   dinette smb.jpg   design 02 with shower area.jpg  
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #14

Thanks for that picture from the SMB web site. Now I know they **can** do it; only remains to see if they **will** do it!

I don't think I'd want it on the door side, though. Only reason I can think for that and the rails is to make the pieces removeable, if you wanted another seat there, or to make space for carrying stuff when not in use as a camper.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote