Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #11

Re: Whitefeather 4X4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondermountain
This is just my two cents of course... I did look at the whitefeather conversion, and I'm sure it's great but overall the cost was prohibitive and I felt like it may be a bit of a white elephant (for the $), etc.
I have seen the whitefeather 4x4 on an ambulance and the van itself looked great and the guys driving it said aside from some minor issues early on, it had been fine. I had a couple conversations with the owner of whitefeather and he was very nice and knowledgable, but in the end I chose to hold off for a 4x4 sprinter or transit, ... so i thought.
So later I turned my attention to the sprinter 4x4, and got on a list at my local dealer for a passenger 4x4. As many of you know, at this point, the overall release/build has been pushed back again even for the entities like fedex, ups, etc. For guys like us, (this is my opinion), I think it will be another 1.5 years before you can predictably get one. My point though, is for the overall $ and value and resale, etc I think a factory sprinter 4x4 is maybe a better way to go. (again my opinion, and I realize you were asking specifically about whitefeather).
The transit will be 4x4 at some point this year by quigley and quadvan. I spoke to john at quadvan and he is working on one now.
Oddly enough, after researching all of these 4x4 options, in the end I went with another econoline! A quadvan which I hope to pick up in a couople weeks!
good luck with your decision. Merry Christmas!
Finally, a reasonable reply. Kind of my thoughts also. I already have the SMB build and to buy a 2015 I'd have to go through the buils all over again, that's why I was thinking about a Whitefeather conversion. Don't think I want to take a chance on a conversion.I'll just keep on driving what I have until MB brings the 4cyl AWD to the US. Then I'll have GTRV do a build.

bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman
Quote:
Seems like this is the only company at least on the west coast that does the conversion anymore.
After using my 2006 SMB Sprinter for 6 years now I think I'm about to convert to 4x4.
Sprinter Store in Oregon is no longer doing the conversion which leaves Whitefeather. Has anyone on this forum done a Whitefeather conversion on their Sprinter?
Sure would be helpful if someone on this forum answered my question. I didn't ask for info about a 2015 Merc. I already know all about that.
Maybe the fact that you didn't get an answer means no one here has a Whitefeather conversion?

People were trying to be helpful in offering possible options, I don't think any Bah Humbug attitude on your part is justified.

Herb
If you don't have a Whitefeather conversion probably best to not answer the post. I thought I was pretty specific with my request. Seems like a lot of folks on this forum just want to write something.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
If you don't have a Whitefeather conversion probably best to not answer the post. I thought I was pretty specific with my request. Seems like a lot of folks on this forum just want to write something.
If you don't like the friendly attitude of folks trying help on this forum, maybe you should go play Mr. Grumpy Gills on some other forum...
Old 12-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #14

Ah, the sense of entitlement. And on Christmas Eve even. Just illustrates all the wrong things about the internet and the anonymous keyboard.

To me, the SMB forum is the gift that keeps on giving. Many thanks to Jage, the moderators who volunteer their time, and everyone else. All the enthusiasts that keep on coming back. Even Bassman. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Anyone else care to hijack this lame-A$$ thread.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
How about joining Whitefeather4x4forum.com? Oh wait, there isn't one. Why don't you start one and you can be the only member, and that way you'll be in agreement with everything posted?

Seriously though, this forum could be very exclusive and only permit SMB discussions, but instead it's great to see and experience a wide diversity of vehicles, builds, and ideas. With that comes discussions about what is posted in this forum, and usually some damn good ideas. Some of the 4x4 conversion and homebuilds here are of equal, if not better, quality of construction than the professionals and most of us feel privileged that they freely share their insights and expertise with everyone here.

Happy Holidays!

Herb
Old 12-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
ssr

The friendly and helpful nature of the nice folks here on SMB forum made the build of my Quadvan possible. I can't say thank you enough for what I've learned and will continue to learn with my daily visits. Hoping I'm able to help someone along the way in the future. Merry Christmas guys.

Roger
ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I was trying to answer the OPs questions but needed more information - I guess that was missed.

I do not believe that anyone is doing conversions on the older T1N Sprinters, that he has, including Whitefeather. I believe that only the newer (2007 on up) NCV3s are being converted.

I bought a NCV3 many months ago and started developing a 4x4 conversion for it, but that project has gone unattended for months. There just isn't enough time with the E-Series conversions we have lined up and the RIP Kits.

This is still something that I want to complete as I already have lots of time and money tied up in it and feel good about the direction we are taking with it.

Some have questioned the business potential, sighting the release of the MB 4x4, but I believe that it would only help us. Like our TTB 4x4 setup, our Sprinter 4x4 will be performance oriented with real off-road capabilities and suspension utilizing FOX Coil-Overs in the front, rear shocks and custom leaf springs. Think of the Raptor suspension...

There are tens of thousands of older Sprinters that would make great conversions and be much more reasonably priced for many enthusiasts. Look at all of the older E-Series vans that are still being converted to 4x4.

I believe our design will have a price point competitive with our current conversions.

I'll be starting on it again in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Seems like this is the only company at least on the west coast that does the conversion anymore.
After using my 2006 SMB Sprinter for 6 years now I think I'm about to convert to 4x4.
Sprinter Store in Oregon is no longer doing the conversion which leaves Whitefeather. Has anyone on this forum done a Whitefeather conversion on their Sprinter?
Is the Sprinter Store no longer doing all Sprinter 4X4 conversions or are they only doing the newer NCV3 and not the T1N's like yours?

Whitefeather's conversion uses components off of a Ford F250/350 SuperDuty Truck so that is has a Dana Super 60 solid front axle. I don't know if the do these for the T1N like yours or just for the NCV3's.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny
a $300 option to upgrade to a low range version
Why wouldn't you do that?!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny
a $300 option to upgrade to a low range version
Why wouldn't you do that?!
Fleets probably don't want low range. Most divers won't know how to use it, and things might get broke. And for foul weather use, is is what most sprinter owners want it for I imagine, low isn't necessary anyways.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #20

Quote:
I was trying to answer the OPs questions but needed more information - I guess that was missed.

I do not believe that anyone is doing conversions on the older T1N Sprinters, that he has, including Whitefeather. I believe that only the newer (2007 on up) NCV3s are being converted.

I bought a NCV3 many months ago and started developing a 4x4 conversion for it, but that project has gone unattended for months. There just isn't enough time with the E-Series conversions we have lined up and the RIP Kits.

This is still something that I want to complete as I already have lots of time and money tied up in it and feel good about the direction we are taking with it.

Some have questioned the business potential, sighting the release of the MB 4x4, but I believe that it would only help us. Like our TTB 4x4 setup, our Sprinter 4x4 will be performance oriented with real off-road capabilities and suspension utilizing FOX Coil-Overs in the front, rear shocks and custom leaf springs. Think of the Raptor suspension...

There are tens of thousands of older Sprinters that would make great conversions and be much more reasonably priced for many enthusiasts. Look at all of the older E-Series vans that are still being converted to 4x4.

I believe our design will have a price point competitive with our current conversions.

I'll be starting on it again in the summer.

Craig at Whitefeather said he would do my T1N for $ 25,500 thus my hesitancy.

Quote:
Quote:
Is the Sprinter Store no longer doing all Sprinter 4X4 conversions or are they only doing the newer NCV3 and not the T1N's like yours?

Whitefeather's conversion uses components off of a Ford F250/350 SuperDuty Truck so that is has a Dana Super 60 solid front axle. I don't know if the do these for the T1N like yours or just for the NCV3's.