Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #21

Re: Wind and High Roof Sprinters

I'll have a similar issue with the solar panel. It's back so far that the front of the airtabs will be just at the back edge of the panel. Too late to move the panel without MUCH aggravation!

bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #22

aaight, aaight, y'all gotta stop w/ this b.s.right here, right now! Dumb as I am, I can't find any way to believe that stickin' a bunch of $2.50 plastic cups, CUPS mindja all over the a$$ of my vehicle is gonna improve my SMB experience, my mileage, or how my big, fat, overheight/weight vehicle deals with a 53 foot long (plus tractor) box buffeting it as it BLOWS by @ (a combined speed of) 130 mph. That being said, I'm open to PROOF... but I gotta believe these silly little tits would be OEM installed by every maker on the globe if they did anything more than the racing stripes of yore I'm listening...
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #23

I'll let you (and everyone else reading this) know, as soon as I get time to install them and see what happens. I'm relying on testimonials on the airtab website, reports on other sites, pm's to me, and my understanding of the explanation. As for OEMs, they have little incentive to add anything that costs them money unless they are required to do so (e.g., seat belts) or the market/competition demands it (e.g., built in GPS). So, we'll see. (Note: I've not found any report anywhere (though I would not expect to find it on the airtab site) saying, "I paid for these and they did nothing." I have seen reports that the fuel economy benefits often are nil to barely noticeable, but as that's not my concern here, I looked for reports claiming that there was no benefit to the aerodynamics. Haven't found any.)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #24

Sorry Bluesprinter, my attempt at light-heartedness didn't shine through as much as I intended. I hope you have luck with 'em. I just think that the engineers at MB would have added, especially on a HIGHROOF Sprinter, anything that would help w/aerodynamics at American and particularly Autobahn speeds. Dude, please do let us know if you "feel the difference" 'cause every little bit helps. Plus, I'm tryin' to get Jage to hang some more stuff on his Jeep
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #25

No problem, if I thought you weren't being light-hearted and friendly I would have given you incoming of hundreds of links (including predictions that these things eventually will become standard on trucks AND cars). Apparently they're a big hit in Australia (where, I've learned, it's quite windy). FedEx has installed them on much of its fleet and eventually all of its fleet. Anyhow, I think the Sprinter was designed as an urban delivery vehicle, and NOT engineered for highway and autobahn speeds. Did they anticipate it becoming a conversion van? Probably not. And, I need to check on this, they may claim that all the electronic handling assists (SRS, ABS, and all other sorts of acronyms) is sufficient to compensate for wind effects. I would disagree with that, given the amount of steering corrections I need to make (compared to other trucks I've driven and to cars and SUVs I've driven).
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #26

Picture time (no tests yet because I need some wind and it's been calm (other than the earthquake)):

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8189s.JPG   IMG_8190s.JPG   IMG_8191s.JPG  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #27

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

No way am I going to put them on my SMB. Looking in the mirror I would think someone was chasing me.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #28

Airtabs tested on a Sprinter in a wind tunnel
http://www.expeditenow.com/news/publish ... rTabs.html
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #29

That was one of the articles I read before making the investment in airtabs. I "googled" "sprinters AND airtabs" and read everything that showed up. A lot of reading, most of it interesting, almost all of it helpful. Perhaps I will test the Sprinter in the winds that show up ahead of the hurricane.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #30

Some Truckers have been putting Air Tabs on their hoods to keep the bugs off their glass.

Not sure if having them in the back keeps the Bears off their tail, however.