Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #1

2WD Lift Kit - any good?

OK I have the Chevy Express 2500 Passenger Van from 1998...

And as in Switzerland they don't do conversions to 4x4 and my Budget is rather thin... I was thinking of a lift kit offered by Overland. I don't now if anyone has any experience with this kit? Featured here: http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_liftkits.html scroll down to see it after the Astro/Safari vans...

I don't plan any hardcore off-roading or rock-crawling but more humps and bumps manly dirt tracks...

I was just a bit worried by some comments on the web being negative about 2WD lift kits...

Advice welcome

+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: 2WD Lift Kit - any good?

For the type of roads you plan on traveling on, 2WD and a lift should be fine, except possibly in instances of bad weather and the road turns into mud.

Herb
Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #3

Yeah grip will always by my problem with the 2WD... What I am wondering is how good the kit is, as it is quite cheap... I don't want to end up with a wobbling Van or unreliable parts, specially for long trips... hmmm

I will have to test the ground clearance as the OEM height is already quite good for a 2WD vehicle... it might be sufficient for the tracks...

This winter snow in Switzerland did cause me some trouble but I need to get a good set of tires which would be a good first step...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

in my van i have fabtech spindles use to have 1ton truck springs it was to ruff
now it soft ride whit the air bags
Mr1974van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #5

DOnt know if they make for older vans but call Larry at FTOR and see
http://www.fulltiltoffroad.com/
they did the repair work on Wilson and he is a solid guy
i have prowled in thier shop and stock room and they
have beefy well engineered parts

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #6

Blocks are known to be bad and you can find a lot of people decrying them, however those are not very tall blocks and you're not doing the types of things that blocks are really bad for (standing it on the rear axle under lots of torque...)

I have no idea about the front. I would find other kits and other reviews and see how the pieces and user experience compares.

It seems really expensive for what you get (again not knowing anything about the front spindles). Lift blocks for $30-$50 outside of that kit and it doesn't even include additional costs (shocks, brake line extensions,?). It looks like for $620 of your dollars you're just moving the front wheels down 4"- admittedly that saves your steering geometry, but it seems like other things would be harder to fit (brake upgrades?) and most importantly- you don't get any more suspension travel, and it just puts more stress on everything (leverage from a further point on the lever).

The more I look the worse it seems. What does a true suspension lift run, and how similar are 2wd Chevy truck lift components?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #7

That will not provide any more suspension travel. So it kind of depends why you want a lift. Also, looks like those are 2" blocks, so the van will have a saggy butt, as they sit level stock. The new spindles will create different loading on the control arms (which could result negative camber gain in hard cornering), so handling characteristics will be different.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Joel

Does anybody have any suggestions for lift kits or suspension parts that would be good for a 2WD Ford EB? I'm already getting a bit of a saggy butt, but there's something screwy in the whole suspension that just keeps getting worse as I drive it, especially on inclines. (Strange thumping and deep popping noises where something is clearly moving in and out of position.)

I just can't justify the cost of a proper 4x4 conversion -- it'd be more than I paid for the van altogether -- but I'm approaching my max-out point with this vehicle, and the suspension is that last mechanical thing that really needs to be overhauled.

I've been looking at air bags from Summit and the like, but I've got no idea how much is too much and how little is too little. I'd probably be willing to throw down upwards of a couple of grand if I really had to, but I'm just not sure where to start.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Joel

Just to answer my own question, digging through the forum got me Action Van and Camburg suggestions. Wish there were more details on their sites, though!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
Does anybody have any suggestions for lift kits or suspension parts that would be good for a 2WD Ford EB? I'm already getting a bit of a saggy butt, but there's something screwy in the whole suspension that just keeps getting worse as I drive it, especially on inclines. (Strange thumping and deep popping noises where something is clearly moving in and out of position.)
This is the best kit I've seen:
http://jflamecustoms.com/Products.html

Other Ford van kits ruin the geometry. This one does it right.

Chances are the nose you hear is your radius arm bushing. They can wear, and then the radius arm can move, making the noises.

I just upgraded my rear springs today by combining the stock springs with some leafs from a wrecked F250 super-duty so now I have 6-pack springs with about 7200 pounds of capacity (plus airbags). Ride is great. Perfect ride over bumps, better ride height, but still smooth on rough surfaces since I also replaced the shackles with Sulastic shackles. The leaf spring upgrade was $100 for parts, plus $270 for labor (including some minor repairs).