Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
Stu

Question 2WD Wheel & Tire setup

I've searched a bunch and just wanted to confirm this setup would be OK on a 2014 E-250 cargo van (barn door) before I go ahead and order it. I know it's something that's been asked a million times - just seeking some assurance as this is my work van.

I'm looking at replacing the stock 16's with the following specs:

18x9" 8x6.5 PCD
ET0 Offset
265/60r18 Bridgestone K02s (or similar, haven't looked for better options yet).

My back of a bar-mat maths tell me that'll give me as close to the same rolling radius as I'm likely to get. Offset I took a guess at. I don't mind having to buy flares at a later date if they stick out a smidge, so long as it's nothing ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Stu

One more try...

Pretty sure I actually need a -12 offset on an 18x9 for 4.5" backspace. Will a 265/60r18 will rub on that setup? Again, standard height van etc.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Before my lift I ran BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 tires 265/75 R16 tires. At full lock there was some slight rubbing on the rear inner splash guard. The diameter is about 32” and cleared the front fender well by about an inch.

Is the diameter of the 265/60 r18 is larger than 32”? If so they may not fit. I am by no means a tire expert.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Stu

Thanks Larrie,

Give or take it looks like I should be right around 30.5 - 31" depending on manufacturer differences. That's just going off of a tire calculator though, so with my luck some 46" floatation tires will turn up

Cheers,
Stu
Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Stu

Just in case anyone searches later and can't find any answer - I stuck an 18x9 with 265/60r18 KO2 on this evening and they seemed fine - offset was -12.

But, I changed my mind and bought some 17x8.5 as I'd rather have a little more sidewall on the van, so we're going 265x65r17 on an ET0. My van sees mainly street and some dirt roads / farm tracks so it makes sense for me, but no reason an 18 won't work.

Hope it helps someone down the line.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #6

I just put Hankook Dynapro Rh12s on my 2wd van. I stayed with the stock size, 235 70(?) 16. So far I'm happy with them. I'll put a couple thousand miles on them over the next few weeks, so I'll try to get back and report on them.

I thought about moving to 17s to firm up the ride a bit, but didn't think it made a lot of sense spend the extra money. My van is an '04 e150 with a penthouse and sportsmobile walls, but not much else in the interior. I am not carrying the weight of a full build.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #7

I'm also a member of the 265/75r16's without a lift club. Very little to no rubbing with only minimal trimming of the front bumper valence. This is on 16x8 wheels with 0 offset.

One note that I haven't seen discussed before is: depending on the wheel you use balancing could be an issue. I've got AR172 wheels and when they originally balanced them with stick on weights, the weights used rubbed the calipers. In the end after trying clamp on weights on the inner lip only I had to go with clamp on weights on both the inside and outside. Since my wheels are black these weights are a little unsightly. But not unsightly enough to even bother painting the weights. haha.

It's not a huge deal but I would perhaps consider 17" wheels and 265/70r17's instead if I were to do it again. Same size tire width and diameter, slightly stiffer ride and less clearance issues with the calipers.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
Stu

These just turned up today as it happens.

Looking forward to tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_bac.jpg