Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Garage
40 side door stuck

been sifting through posts regarding the side "barn" doors. My 40 door is shut and the handle has broken. I have tried grabbing the cables with needle nose to no avail! Any help would be appreciated. The cable sleeves (white) seem fine but the top latch was super hard to get to grab...well it finally won and is nicely latched...so:
How do I open the dang door?

Thanks
Simon

Old 06-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Re: 40 side door stuck

If no reply here post to the FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) van forums and also the 2wd/4wd van section at Expo. There are some good wrenches on both sites. I've never had that problem. I would ask one of the mechanics at work who know all about Ford vans but we have only slider doors.

Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:05 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: 40 side door stuck

You'll need to get inside the door from the interior and then grab the upper latch cable with a pair of Vise Grip pliers. From there you should be able to yank the cable and release the latch.

When replacing it make sure to use either LocTite Blue (242) or Green (290) on the screw threads holding the latch to the door shell. Make sure all thread surfaces are pre-cleaned with a suitable solvent first. Those fasteners have been known to loosen over time and use, sometimes causing the cable to stretch to the point it is difficult or impossible for the cable to release the latch.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote