Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

A Really Newbie Roof Question On The E Series

I just bought my 2011 E-150 (cargo) last week, while I'm not clueless about Fords having owned my '99 F-150 from the show room until last month, I'm sort of lost in the van.

I'll be building this up for camping and I found a high top on an EMT E-250, 2006, I'd like to get that top at my local JY for under $100!

My question for you E Series experts; are the roofs the same on these years and being an E-150 and E-250?

The donor van is scheduled for the crusher in a few days, so I need to act quickly, the top is in good shape and at 6' tall I could stand up in my van!

I think they are the same but I better ask before I blow my money and go to all the work of pulling that top off.

Thanks in advance

Evango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evango View Post
My question for you E Series experts; are the roofs the same on these years and being an E-150 and E-250?

Thanks in advance
Yes

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

Thank you, that means I need to find some help today and get over there on Monday!
Old 07-31-2017, 03:35 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
FWIW and future info any van body from 1992 through end-of-life are the same from E150 to E550. This of course assumes they have the same side door configuration and body length too.

If you're removing this top I'd suggest taking a reciprocating saw to the yard and cutting the entire roof off just below the rain gutters; this would save you some effort and time at the yard. Once you have all this home you can take your time carefully separating it from the remaining van roof bits.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 AM   #5

^ do this.

I spent four hours popping through all the adhesive with a wide blade putty knife and had two other people helping. Still ended up doing fiberglass repair where someone went into the lip instead of under it.

Take the saw. Buy one and consider it a necessary expense for the top if needed.

Good call jwa
bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
FWIW and future info any van body from 1992 through end-of-life are the same from E150 to E550. This of course assumes they have the same side door configuration and body length too.

If you're removing this top I'd suggest taking a reciprocating saw to the yard and cutting the entire roof off just below the rain gutters; this would save you some effort and time at the yard. Once you have all this home you can take your time carefully separating it from the remaining van roof bits.
Thanks, I didn't know they went from '92 forward.

The doors are the same style but if I don't use the donor rear doors I'll have some fill-in to do at the rear above my doors. The EMT van has the full height rear entry and I can see this turning into a problem.

That was my plan, to cut it off in the yard and mess with it at home, it gets pretty hot out there in that yard.