Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Re: Adding aux input to OEM radio (2010 Ford E250)

evy: I too appreciate my oem radio. And would like an aux input. Here are two suggestions:

1. Buy a later model radio/cassette/cd player radio from an E350 with aux input on ebay.

2. Send your radio for modification to the guy on ebay who adds aux inputs for a fee.

Search and you shall find both.

BTW, the oem radio is a driving first, audio second design. It is meant to allow you to hear something interesting while keeping your eyes on the road. Sadly this kind of engineering is lacking in many aftermarket "car" radios.

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I'd buy a basic $120 Sony single-DIN from Crutchfield and install that instead. Probably less hassle and you'll get Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, etc. I did that for my dad in his 2012 with the same radio you have and he's very happy with it.

I did something very similar.....sold the factory 2008 E350 radio on Ebay for $100 and bought a Pioneer MVH-X560BT for $129 from Crutchfield; couldn't be happier.

Single DIN, Digital media only (does not play CDs), bluetooth, great android control for Pandora and MP3s on the phone, iphone compatible, USB input, Aux input, phone mic, etc. Free mounting hardware and harness.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X560BT/ ... ml?tp=5684

There is a cheaper model (MVH-370BT) that has less preamp outs but does all of the above for $99....we put one of these in the neighbor's RV and they love that one as well.

These are simple to use and run circles around the stock Ford radio IMHO......I loved the one in the van so much I also put one in my Element.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
evy

Thanks for all the replys guys.

So here's where I'm at.

I bought a cheap FM modulator on ebay (5$ temporary solution)

Like I said in my first post I also need a backup camera and GPS and buying them separately would be a lot more expensive compared to buying a double din radio with GPS/MP3/rear view monitor like the Jensen VX7020 for example, at 270$ it's a very interesting option.

http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-VX7020-.../dp/B00KRLICIE

I haven't made my decision yet, so keep those suggestions coming

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #14

All of the Ford head units (besides the base radio only units) are capable of AUX in using an adapter which plugs into the rear. I've been using one on my van for about 10 years now.

With SAT button:
http://www.oemautosound.com/p-402-fo...frdn-auxs.aspx

With AUX button but not SAT:
http://www.oemautosound.com/p-43-for...frd04-aux.aspx

Dash-mount headphone jack:
http://www.oemautosound.com/p-3-35mm...nput-jack.aspx

PS - Single-DIN aftermarket head units with tiny buttons drives me crazy! That's the single biggest reason I still use the stock head-unit.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #15

Garage

I have the Jensen VX7020 in my van and have been very happy with it. I got it, back up camera and all mounting hardware for under $500. It has Nav, BT(phone and streaming), Pandora, usb, AUX and a remote that works great. Back up camera comes on right away and Nav has been spot on. Worth every penny so far.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #16
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX
I have the Jensen VX7020 in my van and have been very happy with it. I got it, back up camera and mounting hardware for under $500. It has Nav, BT(phone and streaming), Pandora, usb, AUX and a remote that works great. Back up camera comes on right away and Nav has been spot on. Worth every penny so far.

TexGX
I've seen a lot of positive ratings on this radio.

I think the main negative points I heard was the "warning message" when you open navigation and the fact that it doesn't say the street's name. I heard you can easily edit a file on the SD card to remove the warning but the street name thing might bother me, how about you?

Did the mounting hardware and trim kit come in the box or you bought it seperate?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
I think the main negative points I heard was the "warning message" when you open navigation and the fact that it doesn't say the street's name. I heard you can easily edit a file on the SD card to remove the warning but the street name thing might bother me, how about you?
Can't speak to the Jensen unit, but EVERY GPS/Navi unit I've ever used, from multiple stand-alone Garmins to built-in navis OEM in stock headunits always have that annoying warning message that you have to cancel.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #18

Garage

The message only comes on once and is fairly quick. As mentioned all navs have that feature for legal reasons. I have never noticed it not having street names. It used the same data base that most units outside of Garmin uses. It has worked great so far. The BT phone is actually pretty good for using it in the van. The pandora feature is my favorite. I just BT connected my iPad and now have some serious sound for movies. It also has inputs so you can connect manually if you want. A second screen can be added for a monitor as it does play DVDs. I did upgrade the door speakers, rears and added a little base as well. For the price it is hard to beat. Got everything from crutchfield so all mounting hardware included.

TexGX

P.s.

The Austrian girl voice is very nice.
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote