Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 12:14 AM   #21

That is a great write up and saves me a lot of headache I was considering that project but I will put my efforts elsewhere Thanks

www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #22

Tried this on my 98 club wagon

I have attempted this on my 98 econoline. Got doors off of a 06 in the salvage yard. My doors were in better shape so I swapped the parts. Was a little difficult due to rivets. Got a tip that made life easier. Take a punch and punch out the middle of the rivet before drilling. Worked great on the 98 but only on some of the 06. Everything went together fine and plugs matched at the kick panels. The windows work great but the locks just blow the fuse. I haven’t checked to see if the wiring is there. Will keep you updated as I figure it all out.
Jeffcham82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #23

Factory wiring

I have found that my 98’ 15 passenger econoline is wired for locks even though it came with manuel windows and locks. The unfortunate part is that my van is wired to not go through a RKE module. The van I pulled the doors from was wired through a RKE. This explains the windows working but no locks. I should have been sure to get parts from a van with the same configuration. The switches and wiring harness in the doors plug in to the factory wiring but are different. So my options are pull a RKE module and all the wiring associated with it or by a keyless kit off Amazon for $15. I should be able to splice into the factory wiring and might upgrade to a remote start with security for $45. Hope this helps anyone thinking of adding power locks and windows.
Jeffcham82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcham82 View Post
I have found that my 98’ 15 passenger econoline is wired for locks even though it came with manuel windows and locks. The unfortunate part is that my van is wired to not go through a RKE module. The van I pulled the doors from was wired through a RKE. This explains the windows working but no locks. I should have been sure to get parts from a van with the same configuration. The switches and wiring harness in the doors plug in to the factory wiring but are different. So my options are pull a RKE module and all the wiring associated with it or by a keyless kit off Amazon for $15. I should be able to splice into the factory wiring and might upgrade to a remote start with security for $45. Hope this helps anyone thinking of adding power locks and windows.
I can add more to this but with the proper EVTM for your existing van's year you can successfully wire the PDL's without the factory RKE module. Not sure if eBay has an EVTM for that year still available but I'd look there first.

PM me if I can help any further---in case I don't return here in the next few days.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I can add more to this but with the proper EVTM for your existing van's year you can successfully wire the PDL's without the factory RKE module.

PM me if I can help any further
HTH

LMAO.... This may be a new indoor record for acronyms...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #26
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
LMAO.... This may be a new indoor record for acronyms...
It's what I do!

If I need to translate I can--thought this was a smarter forum though.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #27

Is an EVTM different than the factory service manual for electrical and wiring?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #28
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Is an EVTM different than the factory service manual for electrical and wiring?
Electrical-Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, aka "wiring manual".
Old 12-18-2020, 11:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcham82 View Post
I have attempted this on my 98 econoline. Got doors off of a 06 in the salvage yard. My doors were in better shape so I swapped the parts. Was a little difficult due to rivets. Got a tip that made life easier. Take a punch and punch out the middle of the rivet before drilling. Worked great on the 98 but only on some of the 06. Everything went together fine and plugs matched at the kick panels. The windows work great but the locks just blow the fuse. I haven’t checked to see if the wiring is there. Will keep you updated as I figure it all out.
So I just put power doors on and the door harness matched up with my manual vans harness in the kick panels but the window switch won’t operate the motor. The motor works if I hook a battery to it, and it is grounded to the vehicle but for some reason won’t work when 12v goes to either wire via the switch. Seems like it needs a ground sent too.

Do you have any suggestions? I had them running via the switches at the junkyard but it was this summer and I can’t find my photos from then.

Thanks
Justgosurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #30
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgosurfin View Post
So I just put power doors on and the door harness matched up with my manual vans harness in the kick panels but the window switch won’t operate the motor. The motor works if I hook a battery to it, and it is grounded to the vehicle but for some reason won’t work when 12v goes to either wire via the switch. Seems like it needs a ground sent too.

Do you have any suggestions? I had them running via the switches at the junkyard but it was this summer and I can’t find my photos from then.

Thanks
The door wiring harness will physically fit but the manual door wiring harnesses from the chassis were not configured to be plug n play with power doors. Your best bet is obtaining a wiring diagram showing the PDL schematic and re-configuring either the chassis wiring OR the door wiring harnesses to be compatible.

I'd determine what year the power doors are and knowing what year your chassis is finding the necessary EVTM's through eBay would be my suggestion. you don't list either year so you're on your own there.

HTH