Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Garage
Aluminess Ladder Install Advice

Finally getting to install my passenger-side Aluminess ladder on my RB van. I know this is an “easy” install but I like to be (overly) prepared ‘cause I hate like heck to have to fix things later, so better to ask ahead... Any advice before I take drill to body? Should I use the step bit for the lower bolts?

I held the ladder up there the other day and there’s very little room for options. Any advice on placement?

I saw one post that advised attaching the lower end to the OUTSIDE of the pinch weld, as opposed to the Aluminess-recommended INSIDE. What say you all about that?

FYI, I’m soon to be the lucky owner of a CCV top. Any reason I should hold off on the ladder till after the top is installed?

Old 08-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #2

Hi Otter, I just installed my Aluminess ladder a few weeks ago. Had to go with the driver side due to the Fiamma awning. It was one of the easiest installs I've done and is a great example of a well crafted accessory. That thing is solid!

As you noted there is very little room to move it around. My only problem was making sure it cleared the fender flares, and I ended up with a 1 mm clearance. I followed the Aluminess instructions and went to the inside of the pinch weld.

Regarding the CCV top, I'm about to have one installed next month. When I spoke with them they had no issue with the ladder. When are you having your top done?
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #3

The body metal is easy enough to drill that a step-bit isn't necessary. And on thin stuff like this, it's too easy to oversize the hole using a step bit. Just use a punch or pilot bit to keep it centered, and you should be good with a regular straight-bit.

I mounted mine to the outside. But I kind of had to, because mine's an EB, and I wanted further back than the RB location just behind the wheel. It just fit better that way. I'm not sure it matters too much, just do whichever makes it the most parallel with the body.

BTW - the bedliner looks great! I think I'll do mine too before end of summer.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post

Regarding the CCV top, I'm about to have one installed next month. When I spoke with them they had no issue with the ladder. When are you having your top done?
Hi, thanks for the info and encouragement. Going to Colorado end of September! Maybe we’ll be passing by. Lucky us, huh? Took a good long while to save up but I’m so psyched. Dreaming of it since I bought the van.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post

BTW - the bedliner looks great! I think I'll do mine too before end of summer.
Thanks for the info, CB! You gave me that bedliner idea, so double thanks. Those guys in East Portland LineX did a great job.