Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

(Another) Ford 2wd lift thread

Hey All,

I own a 2006 e250 rb SMB, 2WD.
I would like to lift it, I need a bit more clearance and would like to run 33" tires on 17" wheels.

I've read the Posts on lifting a 2WD, notably "Ford 2wd lift kit?".
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...php?f=5&t=4451

I've looked into the various options, J-Flame, Camburg, Action Van...
Then I saw this option, Full-traction:
http://www.fulltraction.com/detail.p...ID=383&NOTES=9
This is less expensive and also a 4" lift not a 6".
I contacted a local shop (friend of a friend) who confirmed that they can do this lift on a 2006 e250.
They said it would be a "radius arm". Not sure they really knew what a SMB Van is, that it is heavier than a normal cargo van etc. if that matters...
I know next to nothing about the technical / mechanical aspects of lifting my van....
So I would appreciate any advice you guys (gals?) may have.

Will this Full-traction 4" lift work?
If so, do you see any downsides with the Full-traction lift?
What is the difference (beside 4" vs. 6") between say J-Flame over the Full-traction?
ie. What am I getting for the extra expense if I go with J-Flame?

Thanks!
Troy

tmtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #2

Re: (Another) Ford 2wd lift thread

Just on cursory examination, the obvious difference I see is the J-flame seems to just drop everything, so you keep your current springs, they just move down 6" along with all the other components. They've had the kit since 2008 and only have one "example" listed on the website.

Also found this affiliate site: http://6ixthfloor.com/affiliates.html again the same van. Search google images with camburg van and jflame van... the latter again, all one van on multiple sites.

Full Traction on the other hand is what I have on my Jeep, of course mine is a long arm and totally different application, however they are a big enough name in lifts the obvious problem being they don't have a van designed kit.

I would replace the springs before moving them, and that's what the FT F250 kit does, however while it drops the radius arms it doesn't drop them very much, you get into a geometry issue with longer springs- possibly nothing to worry about. There are also longer drop brackets: http://www.fulltraction.com/detail.php? ... 461&NOTES=

I'd get the 4" kit, 6" springs and the longer drop brackets if I was going with FT. Still the kit is not designed for 6" so you lose the engineered comfort and go more into custom application.

Without rehashing camburg or van designed choices, if the one F-250 kit will fit (as opposed to "can be made to work") then other F-series kits are available, and I'm not sure what is available but I know I see F-series jacked to the sky, so 6" shouldn't be a problem.

So that's all just from the pictures, take it with a grain of salt... and try and find some confirmation about how well the F-250 kit fits. I'm still dubious, because why then wouldn't everybody just be buying F-series kits over Camburg and the like.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Jage,

I guess that's the real question:
"why then wouldn't everybody just be buying F-series kits over Camburg and the like."???

I'm still not at all clear. I'll keep researching and make some calls to the various companies that do the lifts...

If anyone else has any info please chime in...
Old 05-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

The F-sereis spring are already 4" taller than the E350 springs. So a 4" lift F350 spring would be 8" taller.

Plus.... I don't see some of the hardware necessary to correct geometry, like new radius arms or brackets.

A lot of shops have no idea that the vans are a completely different chassis from the trucks, but assume they are the same. Besides the engine and transmission, there is not much else in common other than they are both really stout. There frames aren't even the same width (the vans are 4" wider).
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
I don't see some of the hardware necessary to correct geometry, like new radius arms or brackets.
Thanks... Yeah that's an issue.
This looks like it won't work (or at least won't work well).
I'm going with the Action van lift!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

Here it is with Action Van Ultimate Lift, Locking Rear Differential, Gearing, Tires, Steps...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #7

Very very nice!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Site Team

Here's another Action Van 2WD lift with full locking differential. They also put on the Aluminess bumpers and steps. Not a very good view of the lift, but they did an outstanding job.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #9

Mac, Thanks again for your help!!!
Larry at Action Van says Hi.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtm
Here it is with Action Van Ultimate Lift, Locking Rear Differential, Gearing, Tires, Steps...
This the 4" Action Van lift? What size BFG ATs do you have on it?

How much higher is the van standing from before the lift/larger tires?

I have a 96 SMB with an explorer top so I'm already standing pretty tall. I'd like a little more clearance (especially for my leave angle since I have a Ford EB) and I'm trying to decide how high the van will be if I put a 4" Action Van lift on it.

Sorry for all the questions. The lift and tire choice looks great!
coregran is offline   Reply With Quote