Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post

You want it to "read" like it's black, of course....but quite often in automotive two-tone paint schemes you don't actually use true, straight black to do this. Contrast will be strong even if you back off a few shades as boywonder suggested, yet the colors may compliment each other better and look more OEM, less krylon.
Yes! More OEM...less krylon...Exactly!

Quote:

Just be sure (if you do so) to pay attention to whether your chosen color is on the warm or cool side, to match the natural warm or cool that your van's silver has.
Yes...was going to mention this, but we are approaching saturation Really important if you are going after OEM look....take a PMS color chart and lay in on the van paint ...see if warm greys or cool greys go better with the van paint. Go to the auto paint store and borrow their paint samples.

Quote:

EDIT: hey....have we reached the absolute "critical saturation point" for input/opinions here yet?
Dude: You are a highly trained professional in this particular area....so we defer to your opinion.....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #42

Garage
Many thanks to everyone. This has been really helpful!

nemesisnight: You did a lovely job with your rig. I see what you mean about the visual impact of lowering the line a bit.

Zappo and 86Scotty: Doing the bumpers is starting to grow on me.

boywonder and MountainBikeRoamer: Dudes, you are a couple of pay grades above me when it comes to color...PMS charts? Warm/cool? Not black that "reads" black? And then what about the bumpers? OK, I'm clearly dealing with professionals here...and I'm just a hack who used to live in the woods. It would appear that I have a few things to learn. I'll do a little research, and have my people get back to y'all...

Honestly, I'm intrigued, but I have no idea what all of that means or how to go about it. But I'll see what I can learn. Thank goodness for the google.

So. I'm going to take all of this under advisement, and see what I come up with. I will definitely keep you updated.

Thanks again...this was really wonderful.
Bianca
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #43

Bianca: The warm/cool thing is easy..and obvious....although sometimes you need a color chart to really see it.

Warm colors have red in the ingredients, and cool colors have blue. PMS stands for "Pantone Matching System" and is one of several standards/references for paint colors...there are others like Cardinal, etc.

As an example, as you add more red to a silver you'll start heading toward a champagne color....and since most vehicles are white, you'll notice that there are 5 zillion shades of white cars.....some on the warm side and some on the cool side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post

Honestly, I'm intrigued, but I have no idea what all of that means or how to go about it.

Bianca
Go to your local auto paint store and find a color, then buy the tintable Rhino Liner kit (or whatever brand it is) if you want tough and textured, or just repaint the van rockers with auto paint......

I think a great example of a nicely executed two tone paint is the mid 90's mercedes, like these:

...and I had this pic on my computer, and it's just super-cool....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
I also sprayed inside my lower door jams all the way up to the plastic inner steps to give it a complete look (sorry couldn't find pics) and better flow plus protects that area when stepping in and out of all the doors

Bad azz van! And thx for sharing
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #45

Yep, one of my faves.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #46

Garage
Every time I turn around, I'm learning something new from you guys. I love it!!!

boywonder, thanks for the intro to color. I love the look of that GMC panel van. I am surprised to discover, however, that the Mercedes silver on silver examples don't really speak to me.

I'm mentally heading in the direction of black on the rockers, pretty much matching nemesisnight's approach. Not sure about bumpers yet, but I like nemesisnight's rig so much that I might just copy him and do the bumpers, too. My roof and penthouse top will probably be color-matched silver.

I'll let y'all know what happens. This has been fun. Thanks again!!!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote