Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #11

Word of warning: I believe these cheap Esky cameras are actually repurposed cell phone cameras. Not that big a deal. I am using them myself. The only potential issue is if you have to splice the cable. The camera is 3.3V NOT 12V. Therefore, often they have an inline voltage regulator. If you need to splice, be sure to leave that in place or you can fry the camera w 12V. Not that that happened to me or anything . . . .

Old 04-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I fabbed up a rain gutter style mount that blocked the direct sun. It was easy to mount this and run the wires through the original (defunct) third brake light hole in the roof. It is curved in the gutter so the PH fits snug on top of it.
I really like your idea of making your own bracket with the integrated sun/rain shield. Can make the size and fit exactly as needed. Does it work well to keep the glare down?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #13

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...r-monitor.html

Here is a system. These guys make a camera setup for every van.
chasejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #14

Make sure there is not a single lens that goes over the camera and the IR lights. My camera has that and it makes the night vision worse because the lights reflect off the inside of the lens, back at the camera.

I'm just finishing an install of a hardwired camera, but I'm just going to the license plate recess and mounting a small camera as far left (center) as it will go. In my older van, I mounted the camera in the keyhole. I liked that setup, but it was a lot of work.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #15

Garage
I ran the wire from my 3rd eye brake light camera down into the back drivers side door jamb. There was a pass through to the interior. From there I ran it through the cabinetry, then behind the header above the side window, then above the headliner over the drivers seat and down behind the A pillar trim to under the dash. The mirror monitor wire runs above the headliner to the drivers side A pillar and down to under the dash. There is a power supply/video splitter mounted under the dash. I sourced power and reverse from the engine compartment fuse box using tapping the tow harness fuses. There was a pass through the firewall just above the gas pedal.
I bought the rig from Rear View Safety. It does have that single lens fault.

Tags
backup camera, cable run, electrical, electronics, wiring