Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #1

Best donor model for seat replacement? (03 E350SD)

While doing all the just-bought-a-used-vehicle maintenance on Saturday, I figured out that the stock seat is going to get pretty terrible on the long drives to and from the track.

A google search didn't come up with much, but what other models' seats can be used to replace the driver & passenger seats in the van? I don't mind a little drilling, but I'd like to avoid having to fab up new brackets . . . unless the new seats are THAT good, haha.

Cheers,
Ed

Old 05-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #2

Is the stock seat worn out / damaged? If not, what is concern with comfort - lower back, thigh, side support?

Seems the seats are personal in nature. I have put ten hour days and six week travel trips in on the stock seats (in really good condition) and find them quite comfortable. I have on occasion added a mesh lower lumbar support which makes even nicer.

I have thought for those having seat comfort issues, having the existing seats modified with firmer foam/bolstering an upholstery shop woul dmake some sense. I cannot believe it would be that expensive, it would be done to one's personal taste, and and it would be done in a way where you can test it before final. Lumbar bladders and heaters can be added to the stock seats.

New seats can be pretty darn expensive.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:24 AM   #3

Sienna

I have the same model van and the front seats are totally shot. I'm installing Toyota Sienna captain chairs. Nice because they have a footrest that extends out when you recline, if you put them on a swivel and have room for that.
helen_wheels4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgo23 View Post
I have the same model van and the front seats are totally shot. I'm installing Toyota Sienna captain chairs. Nice because they have a footrest that extends out when you recline, if you put them on a swivel and have room for that.
That should be awesome; is there a thread detailing the install for those?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Not that I know of, but there are some on eBay and elsewhere for sale on the internet. You might be able to order them new from Toyota, not sure about that.
helen_wheels4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

Oh, the seats are readily available. I was asking if there was a thread here or elsewhere that showed the process of switching them into the van. i.e., how much fabrication is involved, etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Garage
The not-so-definitive guide to Sienna seats - Expedition Portal

Everything you ever wanted to know.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Perfect - thanks!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

If the front stock ford seats aren't shot, I'd suggest trying them before investing any time and effort in a swap. I'm perfectly happy with mine, way better than the seats in our BMW for long trips. The only seats we've had, that were ergonomically superior, were in a Volvo.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
I'm perfectly happy with mine, way better than the seats in our BMW for long trips.
Wow, I thought I was the only one. I love BMW seats for a little while but they suck on the road. I've often longed for a comfortable, upright van seat on car trips.

Back to topic..........
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote