Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #21

There is a lot of utility in the fold down brush guard/work platform idea....been thinking a lot about that one.....

seems like it would be very straightforward to make it robust as well.....pull a couple of spring pins to fold down......

..Something like these:

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #22

Bumper/nerf bar/rock slider design exercise

Here's the style for a front brush guard fold down table as we enjoyed for our coffee and cocktail stops in Africa:

Simple design also lets you clear out crud jammed in the rad.
"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 01-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #23

I totally agree with the idea of a work platform in the front. Although I am not sure I would use it without a guard rail around it.

A friend was working on a platform that he set next to his vehicle so he could work on the engine. When he finished he stepped back to admire his work, fell off the platform and broke his hip. He totally forgot he was on a platform and not on the ground.

Just say'n.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post

Just say'n.
Safety harness!........connected to the hood
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #25
Site Team

Looks like your design work has already been done.

All these ideas, while great, leave me thinking you could end up with a do-everything, but do nothing well, bumper. Set your goals, but please don't try to please everyone.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
All these ideas, while great, leave me thinking you could end up with a do-everything, but do nothing well, bumper. Set your goals, but please don't try to please everyone.
x2, Great advice!
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Looks like your design work has already been done.

I don't know about you......but BroncoHauler, that bumper you posted looks like it would work damn pretty sweet as a Presidential campaign standing-platform.

In seriousness though --- 100% agreed.

The truly best designs (for almost anything) are pure, focused......they don't try to appease everyone. Or, put another way.....what makes a design truly great is quite often what is *intentionally NOT included* in it.

Boywonder has stated this a couple times, and I'm totally feeling the same way about this --- this is purely an entertainment-driven exercise (although if we hit on something cool, there's the ability to create some copies. Those wouldn't be just for ourselves, this could/would be for anyone who thinks this "crowd-sourced" approach to bumper design has generated a great (and attractive!) idea and sees unique value in getting one made too!)

More posts to come! Definitely attempting to apply a bit of the "Automotive Design Process".....sift through the ideas that get kicked around here and giving them experimental form/shape/function.

If you're feeling the vibe here --- keep the crazy ideas coming! At some point we can all collectively decide which ones are most worthwhile to incorporate into pushing forward with some sort of focused "Overall Goal" for the bumper designs.*

It's just for fun! Let's keep it rollin'......

*edit: and also rock slider/side-step designs!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #28

Bumper add-ons.................Stuff that can be put on and removed as needed.

Some simple structural attachment points at the frame mounts could suffice.

Obviously trailer hitch stuff opens up aftermarket.

I like the idea of fold up and down mounting places. Pntyrmvr's picture is pretty genius really. Imagine one that folds down and you could stack a bunch of wood or an extra cooler before you head up to camp but serves equally well for front end protection when in the up position.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #29

Here is a brush bar / folding step / folding tray combo.

Fold down step held in place by spring loaded retaining pins.

Two position folding tray / table , retaining pins also double as pivot pins.

Pull all four pins to remove the tray.
Attached Thumbnails
BRUSH BAR STEP.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #30

Most excellent design Mark. I really like that!

One thing most of us carry camping here in the East is firewood. Some guys with pickups just about fill the whole thing up for a weekend. I've always fought for space for some firewood that doesn't take up valuable space in the van as it's a mess to carry firewood in a vehicle anyway. I have a 3 point hitch on my current van, an old receiver hitch with two outer sleeved tubes added for a moto rack or whatever. I'm considering using them to make a slide out wood rack that would be assemble with removable crossbars secured by cotter pins or whatever that could be broken down and slid in after the firewood is used. What I'm proposing here is a slide in rack, essentially, that might be able to also be a shower platform as mentioned above, but one that would completely slide under the van, either breaking down or just hidden away, when not in use. Unfortunately I have no gift for sketches/diagrams like JackTuppVan (Mark) above.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote