Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Thanks for the link JWA! I've been looking for someone on this side of the states. I'm sure shipping over here would be much less than a Fiberine coming from Socal.

Yeah---and they're great to talk with as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
Check out Tufport. They're in BC.

I looked into their pricing last year... Not sure if it's the same this year but their top for EB ford started at $1800 for the utility finish, and was $2300 for the double shell finish.

They do install for $600. Takes 2 weeks to build the top and 1 day for install.
As I recall the Samson products were less than $1K for a EB top however that was about 3 years ago. Sadly their website sucks, talking with someone over the phone gets you a few photos of finished tops waiting for shipment, measurements too.

They don't install anything, if that's necessary my guys are the first choice.

Seems we have a few good choices though--always good news.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
There have been more than a few issues with Fiberine tops----not sure if those are still present today of they've got their poop in a group and now producing more consistent tops.

I'd suggest looking at another company called Sampson Fiberglass: http://sampsonfiberglass.com/10352.html. Not a flashy website but great to talk with---be prepared for rather large shipping costs should you use them.

Also in the Homemade/Ground Up Build forums one member here posted a thread about issues with a Fiberine top--do a quick search there maybe? I'll update this post with a link a bit later.

HTH
I tried looking them up a few weeks ago and then just stopped looking into them as their website it horrible and didn't find anything leading to what i was looking for. I bet they make great tops but as far as i can tell they don't make one that looks similar to the cruiser. All i can find is the lower sloped back ones that you usually find on conversion travel vans. I may need to just email them and ask or call. Thanks for the info though!
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Check out Tufport. They're in BC.

I looked into their pricing last year... Not sure if it's the same this year but their top for EB ford started at $1800 for the utility finish, and was $2300 for the double shell finish.

They do install for $600. Takes 2 weeks to build the top and 1 day for install.
I checked these guys out and they don't seem to have one that has the front look similar to the cruiser and that would be ideal for sleeping up top, theirs seemed to be more like the voyager top. I would love to keep it in Canada especially with the dollar. I may give them a shout just to make sure i'm not missing one of their top models. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #14

Garage
Any idea if the Advanture Tops (?) are still in production or avail for our full size rigs? I could be tempted to sell off my PH for one of these...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...le-1316-3.html
Old 04-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB View Post
We have a cruiser top installed by SMB West. We don't have any upstairs sleeping. We have an EB50 layout and sleep downstairs. Up front we have storage. We have sliding windows in the upper back portion. We have cabinets above the side barn doors as across from those. We have an Aluminess roof rack and I fabricated a basket which hangs from the rear backing plates.

Attachment 11217
Looking from right front to left rear.
Attachment 11218
Looking from left front to right rear.
Attachment 11219
Looking towards left front.
Attachment 11220
Looking towards right front.

It is really nice to have all that storage. The floor area remains clear so we can easily use that space on the road.
Thanks so much for those pics! Its interesting to see how each person has customized the fixed to suit their needs. I def need the bed up top, just need to decide front or back. Its also great to see what cabinets you went with and storage solutions.
I have a picture of your rig on my phone (i believe its yours) while still at SMB that i'm always looking at, its gorgeous!
I can see the real benefit to all that extra storage. I'm pretty much settled that the Cruiser top is for me.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825 View Post
Any idea if the Advanture Tops (?) are still in production or avail for our full size rigs? I could be tempted to sell off my PH for one of these...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...le-1316-3.html
Funny you should ask about that. I spoke to SMB west a couple times last week sorting things out and one of my first questions was if they were willing to do the "Adventurewagen" top for me. They said not likely, they only did the one for Jimmy but they do have the mould. I'd go for one right now! the cruiser is a very close second.
Maybe if you want one we could convince them its worth running two
Old 04-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
I checked these guys out and they don't seem to have one that has the front look similar to the cruiser and that would be ideal for sleeping up top, theirs seemed to be more like the voyager top. I would love to keep it in Canada especially with the dollar. I may give them a shout just to make sure i'm not missing one of their top models. Thanks!

Yeah they don't have the front overhang that the Fiberine top has... And I agree it would be AWESOME for extra storage.

I'm in the same boat as you... I need to do an upper level for sleeping for my girls. I'm just very undecided as to what is the best option. When I talked to Fiberine last year, I think just the shipping to Canada was going to cost me almost $1K alone. That's pretty much where I left off with them and turned my attention towards tops that are manufactured in Canada and already on our side of the border.

If you do happen to find a top like theirs up here, let me know! I'd love one.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Yeah they don't have the front overhang that the Fiberine top has... And I agree it would be AWESOME for extra storage.

I'm in the same boat as you... I need to do an upper level for sleeping for my girls. I'm just very undecided as to what is the best option. When I talked to Fiberine last year, I think just the shipping to Canada was going to cost me almost $1K alone. That's pretty much where I left off with them and turned my attention towards tops that are manufactured in Canada and already on our side of the border.

If you do happen to find a top like theirs up here, let me know! I'd love one.
I've done the pop top up here...and i'm ready for a fixed

A couple options are we work out picking up two at the same time to save cost or have them shipped to my address in Montana and i pick them up and bring them across. I'm still trying to decide whether to have SMB install and finish the inside of the top.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
I've done the pop top up here...and i'm ready for a fixed

A couple options are we work out picking up two at the same time to save cost or have them shipped to my address in Montana and i pick them up and bring them across. I'm still trying to decide whether to have SMB install and finish the inside of the top.

Yeah I'm all ears... Keep me posted with what you find. I am not opposed to dragging my trailer down to MT and bringing a top or two back across the border on it.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #20

I appreciate all the feedback! I've pulled the trigger on the Cruiser/super camper top. I'll certainly post the progress of the pop top to fixed switch and full build.

Is their anyone out there with an Extended body, 4x4 6.0 diesel with cruiser top that would be able to share their GVWR weight specs from their door sticker from SMB? I have new springs being made and i need to have them built to the future specs of SMB with the new top.