Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Cutting, drilling, welding van body: Compromised strengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
It's also possible to reinforce for any material that is removed, making the finished product even stronger than the original. In my opinion the devil is in the details.
Very, very true---can't disagree at all! I do have to add that "small" is highly subjective and sooooooooo NOT defined by any known measurements or placements at least as it relates to compromising body strength as being discussed here.

The problem becomes too many proceed hacking, chopping, welding etc etc with the unfounded thought they're not affecting anything other than appearance. Its easy to talk and fool ourselves into thinking all is or will be perfectly fine, based on nothing more than "everyone else does this......."

Perhaps as a former body shop owner during the time unibody construction became more the norm I'm a bit overly sensitive to how and why improper repair--or in this case modifications---to a already well engineered and built auto body affects so much more than appearance alone.

Being honest though since its an almost zero chance me or others I know/care about will be riding in something driveway modified its of little real concern to me. Proceed as you will!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote