Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

Delaminating/cracks (Voyager) Fiberglass Top

I have a 2006 Ford E350 van that had signs of the paint delaminating from the fiberglass top. I took the van to a local auto body paint shop to have the top repainted (that was 2 year ago). I recently noticed that the fiberglass top was showing signs of small cracks were developing in the paint.

I've attached some images of the cracks in questions.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has experience similar situation or knows of anyone that has. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
0817181007a.jpg   0817181000_HDR.jpg  

jschopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
MSD

Garage
It hard to tell if those cracks are from paint & then stress or if that was in the mold & then gel coated over... if you sand the top to paint then those impurities will make there way back thru the paint. Lots of molds have these issues from lots of use and being moved around... the only way to fix this is sand down to fiber glass use a structural filler & repaint. That can be costly I’d suggest sanding the effected area and use some fiber glass resin to fill the crack using a Qtip ( break off the fluffy part & just use the stick) then use a paint pin to make it match should hold up well.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

MSD...
Thank you for your input. When I had the top of van repainted I didn't notices any cracks were it was delaminating. The shop had used Acrylic Lacquer paint for the job. I don't know if some other type of paint would of had better results. But as you mention...maybe the fiber glass has some structural issues causing these cracks.

Thank Again!
jschopen is offline   Reply With Quote