Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #1

Do front hitches compromise crumple zone (Ford)?

I've been wondering this for a while... does mounting a frame-mount front receiver hitch compromise safety by keeping the front crumple zone from absorbing impact in a collision? Looking at my hitch it seems like it might. Any thoughts or real-world experience on this? I have my front hitch mounted, even though I almost never use it (PO put it on for a bike rack, but now I have a rear hitch rack).

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #2

Re: Do front hitches compromise crumple zone (Ford)?

The crumple zone for the frame is just the area where those little folds are pressed into the frame at the front. I would think that when looking at the hitch mount it either sits on the same part of the frame where those folds are or not. If it does then the answer would be yes, it will affect the crumple zone. Should you worry about it? Probably not, just be careful to hit a modern unibody car when you do crash so you end up using their efficient crumple zone to protect your now rigid van....
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Yeah, I was going to basically say the same thing. If you're in a van, I would only worry about their crumple zone!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

Yes, it sits on the creased areas, which is what got me thinking. I'll have to be careful not to hit a wall or tree or whatever! :-) I guess if I hit a big critter that will absorb the shock.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

Front hitch where it mounts to frame.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

As a former body shop owner, at the advent of unit body cars with emerging technology and development of crumple zones their inclusion in a body-on-frame vehicle are almost useless. I don't see them attenuating or "softening" collision energy transfer to vehicle occupants which is their main function in unit body vehicles.

From that aspect installing front or rear towing hitches directly to the frame is at best a neutral addiction, neither adding to or reducing collision impact energy.

For purposes of this thread I'm speaking specifically of Ford's E-Series vans.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Thanks for that, JWA. I have a front hitch mounted on my E-350, so this thread piqued my interest.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

I totally respect JWA's experience, but have to ask: how is it possible to tell if the crumple zone has or has not attenuated the collision energy transfer to the vehicle passengers? I assume that energy has to go somewhere...
Old 08-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

BW its wise to be skeptical so no worries on questioning anything.........

Again we have to remember we're dealing with body-on-frame which is key to this discussion. In unit body vehicles its fairly easy to see the effectiveness of that design by viewing actual collision damage and learning what bodily injury was/was not suffered. In the case of E-Series or any body-on-frame its a safe bet much of an impact's energy will ultimately will be transferred to occupants, the relatively few crumple zones doing little to absorb or deflect that energy.

Air bags in their various forms and locations, lap belt pre-tensioning devices as well the height of an E-Series van is beneficial because most vehicles on our highways don't sit that high off the ground. When another vehicle hits a van the lower one tends to strike at about frame level----because we sit higher up we're somewhat spared a full frontal impact, that which would impart the largest energy to the occupants. (All this assumes two things: a.) all occupants are properly seat belted in place & b.) colliding vehicle isn't same size or larger.)

When we add front and/or rear hitches which are tied into the frame they become battering rams of a sort even though not intended to act in that manner. The photo shown here seems attached to the frame both fore and aft of the crumple zones, essentially bridging them which effectively negates or greatly diminishes their purpose. However because an E-Series frame is relatively soft a head-on collision would still find the frame deforming due the energy transfer. When/if that energy "travels" far enough through the frame where it reaches the body mounting bolts those would be affected, either sheared away or at least displaced to some degree.

We all have to keep in mind despite a van's size its not much more than a paper-thin shell in which we sit and trust won't be in a severe crash or roll over "event". ( I just LOVE PC conversations, as in: So sir please tell me how you came to Sh*t yourself? Wull officer---I was involved in a roll-over event......." ) Head on crashes have huge speed differentials, rear end collisions tend to have less and side impacts are almost 100% affected by the speed (and to some extent the size) of the other vehicle. These conditions and circumstances all affect how much energy will be absorbed by the bodies inside.

Should a van land on its roof (from a fall or very severe roll over the A, B & C pillars would be effective one time---subsequent roof impacts during the same roll over event would find them exponentially reduced in structural integrity, basically collapsing and no longer able to protect occupants.

Keep in mind we're talking worst-case scenarios so don't take this as me saying vans are inherently death traps---size matters in this case too.

Anyway hope that's not too boring but helpful in some way.

Drive safely!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #10

Interesting. Thanks JWA!