Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #21

Garage
After considering slipperiness, sturdiness, and ease of access, I'm beginning to narrow down. Found these three by Luverne: the Grip, the Mega, and the Omega. I like the looks of the Megas, but that grip sure looks useful on the Grip step (kinda like JWA's).

Luverne

Anybody have any of these Luvernes with an opinion?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

Old 05-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #22

Garage
Here is an option. This ad has the most pictures but there is a guy selling them for 200 a set on Craigslist in PDX. I bet painted black they would look pretty good.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5572575146.html

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
After considering slipperiness, sturdiness, and ease of access, I'm beginning to narrow down. Found these three by Luverne: the Grip, the Mega, and the Omega. I like the looks of the Megas, but that grip sure looks useful on the Grip step (kinda like JWA's).
The Grip Step's would be my preference too---definitely more utility than glamour.

The only issue I'd have is they seem to require holes being drilled into the body---a huge no-no for me.

FWIW my backyard design was partially based on the OEM style in that the steps are supported more by the frame.

Nice looking boards though---great range of availability for vans, larger than we typically see.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #24

Garage
JWA - which oem style are you referring to? The latest ones I removed were from a 2014 and those were mounted mainly to the pinch welds. I remember them feeling less than ideal and my wife confirmed when she said they scared her ha ha so that's when I removed them.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #25
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Do You Like Your Running Boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825 View Post
Anybody running the N-Fab bars on their rig? Seems to be lower profile than the Aluminess ones while still having a decent step

Manufacturers of high quality Nerf Steps, Prerunners, Harley Bars, Light Bars, Replacement Front Bumpers, Rock Rails, Rear Runners, Tire Carriers & Truck Accessories

I replaced my hoop steps after ripping 2 of them off in Moab years ago, too low. I went with the N-Fab, nice enough and certainly sit higher than the hoop steps but they are attached to the pinch weld, not to the frame, so there's a little bit of flex when you step on them, but still pretty sturdy. The fit an finish is very good and although it took a bit of getting used to a narrower foot on the step, they have held up well and still look good.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #26

Garage
Thanks for the pic Rick - think the N-Fab's will be the route we go. Price isn't too bad either which helps...
Cheers
-d
Old 05-10-2016, 04:55 AM   #27
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
JWA - which oem style are you referring to? The latest ones I removed were from a 2014 and those were mounted mainly to the pinch welds. I remember them feeling less than ideal and my wife confirmed when she said they scared her ha ha so that's when I removed them.
I'm not familiar with the OEM type primarily hung from the pinchwelds. There is a type seen most often on U-Haul rental vans---I'll look around for photos showing them not yet installed---that might be more helpful.

As I discovered almost any non-drilling installation that feels secure requires a horizontal or slightly diagonal brace from the boards back to the frame is very important. My thought is vertically pinchweld suspension is more than sufficient to handle most people but without the horizontal bracing they will flex inward giving an unstable feeling under foot.

Photos:

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #28

The standard black OEM boards mount both to the pinch welds as well as to the frame, using pre-existing holes. They are fairly easy to install and very strong. On another thread somewhere here in the forum I posted a scan of the Ford install instructions for them.

Those other OEM "U-Haul" type boards are strong, but clunky and kind of heavy IMO. My neighbor has them in his work van, and I looked at a set when I was buying for my van, but liked the black ones better. Note my van is 2WD so I wasn't worried about off-road use other than fire roads and the like.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #29

Garage
JWA - those Uhaul ones are currently for sale on Craigslist in Portland and I thought that's what you may have been talking about when I saw them. I even mentioned them 3 posts or so up ha ha. They definitely look solid.

BrianW - the standard black oem ones may be strong but are pretty slick when wet and definitely don't feel solid underfoot. Better than nothing but still not as solid feeling as I wish they were.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #30

Just thought I would throw in my vote for the factory Ford running boards also. We have 8 years and 130,000 miles on them and they still look great. Easy to clean. Our van is dark grey metallic, so you hardly notice them.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote