Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #1

Dodge Ram MegaCab bench seat in an Econoline

Here's another solution for those wanting/needing bench seating with headrests. My first choice was to locate Sprinter seats like Silver350 and TwoVans but I could never find them and when I did the guy was asking $950. Ouch. The big upside is that the shoulder belts are integrated on the Sprinter seats. And LATCH connectors for all 3 seating positions.

By dumb luck while eBay surfing I came upon a bench seat from a Dodge Ram MegaCab. MegaCabs are huge and the resulting bench has 3 headrests, has LATCH for all 3 seating positions, the middle seat has an integrated shoulder belt, the thing reclines, folds and kneels. Its pretty cool and weighs easily two times the weight of a normal Ford bench, approx 140lbs.

I've been looking for a replacement bench for quite some time as my 3 kids are still kinda young and I wanted to keep their necks safe in a severe accident. Just about all of the crew cab bench seats do not come with the center headrests and shoulder belts until I accidentally stumbled onto the MegaCab bench seat. The other problem was trying to mount a crew cab bench .. I used rectangular 1in x 1.5in and 1in x 2.5in .125 hot rolled steel, 7/16in grade 8 fasteners and the existing 8 threaded welded nuts where row 3 would've mounted. No new holes needed and I'm using row 3's seatbelts for the outside seats .. with Ford seatbelt receptacles. The Dodge ones are still there, I just rotated them away 180 degrees.

Anyways, you can find them on eBay. I didn't ask where the guy got it from as he also had a leather one. The freight on it was more than the item and since I purchased mine a couple of years ago the prices have doubled.

Anyways, below are some picts. The bench is centered and clears the fuel filler. (I may have goofed on the pict attachments, I have full size picts that I could send if anyone is interested.)

The seat back is somewhat taller than the Ford bench so I removed the headrests for now as my kids don't need the headrests yet.

Here's the 60 portion folded:

And here's the 40 portion kneeled:

Enjoy,
Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 Quigley V10
Attached Thumbnails
dodgerambench.jpg   benchfolded.jpg   benchkneeled.jpg  

my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Dodge Ram MegaCab bench seat in an Econoline

nice work! looks like it was meant to be there.

ive got all kinds of hours logged sitting on a megacab bench and the thought of putting one in the van never even entered my mind.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote