Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Door hinge repair on a 2005 Express van?

I bought my 2005 Chevy Express 1500 used several years ago and the side barn door hinge pins were already starting to seize. I've kept them stiff but alive with PB Blaster and oil over the years. Apparently it is a known/common problem and would like to try to fix the issue; I'm getting a little tired of being the only one who can operate the doors in my household.

I've called a dealer and a body shop, the fix was largely the same - remove and replace the hinges completely at $600+ per door. So I'm looking at $2400+ to fix 4 doors on a vehicle that blue books at $4000. NOT affordable!

Dorman offers a greasable hinge pin - https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1748&y=2005

I've come across some Youtube videos where owners have drilled in some "lube ports" that fixed their doors -

This guy used a punch and a hammer - http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...sable_pin.html

There is this puller but I had an email exchange with these guys. It will work on the upper hinges but not the lower hinges due to the recess the hinges sit in -

I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully used these Dorman pins or used any other approach (like drilling holes) to fix these hinges. I've tried hammering out the pins but it was a pretty weak attempt since I met a lot of resistance and wanted to be more educated before I started wailing on them. I didn't have the best tools available either. If you replaced the pins, what method did you use to remove the old pins?

Thanks!

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #2

Door hinge repair on a 2005 Express van?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
I bought my 2005 Chevy Express 1500 used several years ago and the side barn door hinge pins were already starting to seize. I've kept them stiff but alive with PB Blaster and oil over the years. Apparently it is a known/common problem and would like to try to fix the issue; I'm getting a little tired of being the only one who can operate the doors in my household.

I've called a dealer and a body shop, the fix was largely the same - remove and replace the hinges completely at $600+ per door. So I'm looking at $2400+ to fix 4 doors on a vehicle that blue books at $4000. NOT affordable!

Dorman offers a greasable hinge pin - https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1748&y=2005

I've come across some Youtube videos where owners have drilled in some "lube ports" that fixed their doors -

This guy used a punch and a hammer - http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...sable_pin.html

There is this puller but I had an email exchange with these guys. It will work on the upper hinges but not the lower hinges due to the recess the hinges sit in -

I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully used these Dorman pins or used any other approach (like drilling holes) to fix these hinges. I've tried hammering out the pins but it was a pretty weak attempt since I met a lot of resistance and wanted to be more educated before I started wailing on them. I didn't have the best tools available either. If you replaced the pins, what method did you use to remove the old pins?

Thanks!
Few the forum when I came up on this. Not sure if you still need the info.

I've got a 2000 Savana with same problem. It got so bad one of the hinges on the smaller door bent. Hadn't used it in a few years when I saw the video about drilling into the hinge and the soaking it with PB Blaster or WD40. It worked. If my hinge was not bent, it would operate much smoother but I got my door back. I still give the hinges a few squirts every once in a while. Give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MuskegonBrian is offline   Reply With Quote