Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Driver door issues

97 E350 driver door key will not work. Can lock door inside.
Outside handle is floppy but will open door.
Inside handle is fine

Any idea what parts I need to fix this

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #2

There is a rod inside that comes down from the latch mechanism to the lock cylinder and pops in with a plastic clip. It isn't easy to get to. I recently replaced my broken driver's door handle and this broke in the process, so I'm in the same place you are. You'll need to replace just that clip most likely. I would hope this is still an available Ford part, but not sure. I think your best bet is a Ford dealer parts counter where you can look at a schematic with someone who can figure out that exact part.

Good luck! I'd love to know what you find out, I haven't gotten around to fixing mine yet either since I have keyless entry.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

^^^ I believe this is the part you need . "door lock rod clip" Dorman 703-237 this part was used in many Ford cars and trucks since the 1980s. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1226...origin=keyword
Attached Thumbnails
Dorman 703-237.JPG  
Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Is the key not turning the lock cylinder or does it turn but not lock/unlock the door latch?

If its the latter there indeed may be a lock rod issue or the latch mechanism has issues all its own.

If its the former a new lock cylinder might be in order OR using a good lube like Liquid Wrench or Tri-Flow might restore its function. (Liquid Wrench leaves a bit of lithium lube on the parts, typically I'd use something like PB Blaster or WD-40)

Jack and Scotty are correct and very helpful with their advice---I'm just preparing you for the worse case scenario.

BTW I'm in the auto/truck glass biz!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Is the key not turning the lock cylinder or does it turn but not lock/unlock the door latch?

If its the latter there indeed may be a lock rod issue or the latch mechanism has issues all its own.

If its the former a new lock cylinder might be in order OR using a good lube like Liquid Wrench or Tri-Flow might restore its function. (Liquid Wrench leaves a bit of lithium lube on the parts, typically I'd use something like PB Blaster or WD-40)

Jack and Scotty are correct and very helpful with their advice---I'm just preparing you for the worse case scenario.

BTW I'm in the auto/truck glass biz!
Will be pulling things apart today between rain drops....have the boat in a thousand pieces taking up the whole garage....

While turning the key there is resistance with only slight movement of the
of the interior lock rod

Now my left rear door lower cable broke...can't win from loosing
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Haven't used these guys, but I have their page bookmarked.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/default.asp

Herb
Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Haven't used these guys, but I have their page bookmarked.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/default.asp

Herb
Those guys are top notch---I use them quite frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post

At your van's year could be just old age showing itself.

While turning the key there is resistance with only slight movement of the
of the interior lock rod.
If the key is hard to turn that tends to point towards the lock cylinder. If it seems to be binding that points to the door latch itself. Squirting the Liquid Wrench inside the latch from the outside of the door might help---might have to remove the latch mechanism and try lube-ing it before re-installing.

Disconnect the lock cylinder rod, test the cylinder with a known good key---if it turns freely we're back to the latch.

A WAG tells me the latch is at fault here, at least the portion where the key cylinder is involved.

If the handle is floppy it might be a good time to replace it---they're available from Dorman etc but I prefer OEM which might be a bit more money. eBay may have a few new OEM parts available for less than dealership so that's worth a try too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Now my left rear door lower cable broke...can't win from loosing
I believe the rear driver's side cables are available separately. Let me know if you need help with specific parts.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Jack and JWA, as always you've come through with solid advice. Here's a link to that clip, also on Amazon for $20. Not cheap for a piece of plastic but if you need a working door lock........

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...03237&_sacat=0

Sorry to hijack.

I agree with above advice, your issue may be the lock itself. Mine spins freely I think, but I know mine is the clip.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #9

Cheapest I can find it.

http://autoplicity.com/3232359-dorma...2RAaArI58P8HAQ

Old 12-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Jack and JWA, as always you've come through with solid advice.
Sorry to hijack.
Thank ya Sir and pish posh on the hijacking----advice that's helpful is never that or a derailing either!

That's one healthy price on a single clip---I'd look here too: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com----they should have them too for a lot less.

Also call Ford to see if they sell them individually----for less than $20 each.