Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

E-series Tow Mirror Hinge Failure?

Bought a pair of used Super Duty Tow Mirrors on eBay, the power mirror units. No turn signal, no heated mirror. I just wired for heated glass on the driver side, cleaned and lubed everything, buttoned everything up and moved on to passenger side and found both hinges loose with lots of play. Strange...

Disassembled the mirror the rest of the way and found both "hinge pins" sheared off through the middle. These "pins" are special as they have a pass-through the middle for wire to pass from the base, through the arms to the motors. It appears to have been dis-assembled before since a few tabs were broken on the plastic covering the base. I'm guessing the salvage guy I bought them from threw a complete unit together from parts.

Okay, so the question, anybody have a source for the part at a reasonable price? Recommendations for good wrecking yard close to San Francisco (under 30min drive). There use to be decent ones in the city at one time, but real estate prices pushed them out. Anyone have a broken mirror at home you were saving just for this reason? Trying to avoid buying a complete replacement. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
fr_1618.jpg